WW2 6th armoured “super sixth” MTO/PTO camo Helmet - bullet struck

ArchangelDM

For what it's worth, FANTASTIC helmet, Well Done!!! This helmet paint style and pattern remind me of a helmet I own, sourced from Al Barrows. I posted it in this link, long ago: (That I can't seem to paste into this dialog).

Here's the title: M1 Vesicant PTO Helmet

Not to detract from your, here is mine:

Tom thanks for the comments and posting that amazing helmet.

I would also agree that the camo is very much of the pacific theatre scheme. The super sixth where in the PTO and in the MTO so maybe the Vet took inspiration from the Marines.

Thanks again and cracking helmet

Yours

Dean

Thanks Bill

The camo scheme would of most probably been used in the MTO or PTO based on colour. The Sixth where in Italy and the pacific theatre.

Thanks a lot of people are seeing Hagood

- Dean

Dean -

Not to quibble, but I believe the 6th Armored Division fought only in France?

Again, nice helmet!

Best,

Bill K.

Burning Hazard

Dean -

Again, nice helmet!

Best,

Bill K.

6th Armored did participate in the Pacific:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Armored_Division_(United_States)

"Elements of the 6th AD also participated in the Pacific Theater seeing action in major engagements in that area of the war.[4] The battalions were amphibious units, and thus used different variants of the LVT. The 69th Armor Regiment was composed, for the majority, of these amphibious battalions and was sent over to the Pacific. These units, such as the 773rd Amphibian Tractor Battalion, 776th Amphibian Tank Battalion, and 708th Amphibian Tank Battalion, saw action in the Mariana Islands (1944) at the battles of Saipan and Tinian, in the Marshall Islands (1943–44), the Ryukyu Islands (1945), and in the Philippine Islands as well as the Liberation of the Philippines. Some were also stationed in Japan during its occupation following the war's end."

Dean -

Again, nice helmet!

Best,

Bill K.

Hey Bill

Here is there engagement list during WW2

Engagements

World War II

Normandy

Northern France

Rhineland

Ardennes-Alsace

Central Europe

Pacific War

Marshall Islands

Battle of Kwajalein

Mariana Islands

Battle of Saipan

Battle of Tinian

Liberation of the Philippines

Ryukyus

Battle of Okinawa

Ok thanks fellows -

So this soldier was a likely a member of the 708th Amphibian Tank Battalion - the 6th Amd Div. patch liner probably a remnant from when he was still part of the 69th Armored Battalion. Ok, now I get how the liner and helmet ended up looking the way they do. Good luck on your search for additional history.

Best!

Bill K.

Ok thanks fellows -

So this soldier was a likely a member of the 708th Amphibian Tank Battalion - the 6th Amd Div. patch liner probably a remnant from when he was still part of the 69th Armored Battalion. Ok, now I get how the liner and helmet ended up looking the way they do. Good luck on your search for additional history.

Best!

Bill K.

Thanks Bill for the input, thats another great lead.

Yours

Dean

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

My 27th Infantry Idd set

- Dean

Very nice helmet, is it ID'd? I ask because it doesn't look like the 27th ID Camo helmet I have seen in pictures, they all have a very rough texture added to the paint, while this one is much smoother with just the factory cork.

Very nice helmet, is it ID'd? I ask because it doesn't look like the 27th ID Camo helmet I have seen in pictures, they all have a very rough texture added to the paint, while this one is much smoother with just the factory cork.

Yeah Id to John Moirano - he entered 1945 and did the clear up on the Islands

- Dean

Apologies Cap he was 165th infantry not 27th

Ill do a thread

Yours

Dean

Classic centerpiece of a helmet collection here

I would personally display it liner and shell side by side

Owen

Thanks O

Appreciate the kind words

- Dean

RememberThe5thESB

I wish I had displays like that... My bedroom book shelf can only hold so much... And I dont think my parents would be too keen on handing over the guest room to me!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

I wish I had displays like that... My bedroom book shelf can only hold so much... And I dont think my parents would be too keen on handing over the guest room to me!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Im sure in time you will get a bigger space my friend,

Ive waited years to be able to actually have some room for me so I feel your pain.

Keep fighting the good fight and maybe the parents will say yes one day.

Persistence beats resistance

- Dean

• 1 year later...