Reframing a 100 Year-Old USMC Yardlong Photo

b_hinch

I love the "yardlong" photos and have a small collection of them. Recently acquired a great one of the 5th Marine Regiment in front of the U.S. Capitol. Thanks Brennan (member gauthieb3sxz). Great photo, but some water damage and a lot of loose debris and in need of some TLC. Special thanks to Keven (Warguy) for giving me his step-by-step instructions to preserving these photos.

post-8602-0-95671500-1549167669.jpg

A lot of water damage, but salvageable. Hundred year-old newspaper inside that the wife and I enjoyed perusing. An ad for a Cecil B. Deville movie!

post-8602-0-77551000-1549168403_thumb.jpg

Replaced cardboard backing with 1/4 inch acid-free foam backing, returning the old newspaper for the next reframer down the road, and resealing the frame with butcher paper and double-sided tape.

post-8602-0-47134800-1549168876_thumb.jpg

post-8602-0-72382200-1549168887.jpg

easterneagle87

Was this on LetGo? I saw it or a similar one a while back. Of course there could be more than one of these out there. It loked like a great photo.

Hi Bryan, excellent job. I know there are some purists out there who might likely say you should have left it be, but when it comes to photographs, I really believe not only can you now enjoy it (cleaned) as intended, but know that it is being preserved for future generations. Great job balancing preservation (keeping original glass and frame intact) and I love that you replaced the newspaper. This is a great image and one that doesn't come along every day, (although for some odd reason a few have been offered the past couple months). I love that you can look into the eyes of the men who saw the elephant at Belleauwood and Mont Blanc, etc. I have spent hours looking at small details and identifying various well known WWI Marines. Again,nice job preserving a real piece of history there. Kevin

Thanks again Kevin. I'm happy with the results. I can spend a lot of time on these photos with a loupe, taking in all the details. It looks much better cleaned up, and I think it will be around much longer for others to enjoy.

Was this on LetGo? I saw it or a similar one a while back. Of course there could be more than one of these out there. It loked like a great photo.

I purchased this from a Forum member, but have seen a couple of others for sale recently. It is a very cool image, for sure!