• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimD

JimD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,661
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

This is a group attributed to Ruth Mary Cobos, born in 1904, entered service November 1944.

I have not found much more about her other than she lived in Los Angeles before and after the war. 

It came with a table medal marked "Bronze" on the rim with what I believe is the maker or designer, "G. Simon" written below Pallas Athene. 

Reverse has the SHAEF insignia. I cannot find much about this table medal either. 

Jim 

Cobos.jpg         2.jpg   

#2 Demianthedog

Demianthedog
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 9,150
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:24 PM

My inclination is to leave smiley however, I feel the need to expound.

To begin, these dogtags are highly faked by the Chinese.  Notice how the notch in the corner has a slight cant to the left. 

There was a Bronze, Silver and Gold version of this medal.  The Bronze being the most common and reserved for the less inexperienced. 

The medal itself looks like a restrike.  Notice the heavy stippling on the obverse.  Check for crosshatching on the edge. A good strong digital magnifying glass should suffice.

Hope this helps.  :blink:

#3 JimD

JimD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,661
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

Just in case anyone is wondering, Demianthedog is a friend of mine who was over on February 10 looking at this small grouping. 

We had a few beers. He agreed to take a shot at researching the maker (G. Simon) and see if he could find anything. Apparently he had a few more beers at home and

his above post is the result.  

With friends like this..................

#4 Simon Lerenfort

Simon Lerenfort
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,177
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:57 AM

...To begin, these dogtags are highly faked by the Chinese.  Notice how the notch in the corner has a slight cant to the left.....

Hope this helps.  :blink:

Personally I would not make such a scathing criticism of the tags without actually seeing a better close up of both sides, I see nothing wrong with the tags but again better photos would help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users