Value of Semi-Auto .30 M1917 and M1919 Brownings?

zepher11

I know a Korean War Vet that is getting to the point where he needs to sell his collection. Two items he has are a semi-auto M1917 and semi-auto M1919.

He was telling me that he thought that the M1917 was worth between $25k and $30k. Seemed high to me. On the forum where I listed the whole collection, I was told that due to the fact these are semi-autos registered in California that they would not command the high price of a full auto MG. One suggestion was that a full auto 1917 would be maybe $20k and semi-auto would be closer to $3,500.

Quite a difference, so thought I would post here to confirm. Not sure what the semi-auto 1919 would be worth including the tripod and water cooling tank.. Here are some photos:

Jack_Mem_6.JPG

Jack_Mem_11.JPG

Jack_Mem_7.JPG

Jack_Mem_9.JPG

Jack_Mem_1.JPG

I can only find fully auto MG's listed for sale. I did see a tripod for a 1917 listed at $2,500 plus.

Any suggestions of current value would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You could check out Ohio Ordnance for full retail on both guns, as semi-autos. Just a thought. Full auto transferrable prices are out of the question.

The 1917 will for sure bring a premium, especially complete with tripod, water can, and hose...If I had to make a SWAG, I'd thnk $8,000 to $10,000 would be obtainable, maybe more....but no way do I see it hitting $20k and up, unless it was a registered, transferable FA.

The 1919A6 setup I would SWAG $4000-$5000...but I think the market has softened on these as of late...

You could check out Ohio Ordnance for full retail on both guns, as semi-autos. Just a thought. Full auto transferrable prices are out of the question.

Thank you, I will check it out.

The 1917 will for sure bring a premium, especially complete with tripod, water can, and hose...If I had to make a SWAG, I'd thnk $8,000 to $10,000 would be obtainable, maybe more....but no way do I see it hitting $20k and up, unless it was a registered, transferable FA.

The 1919A6 setup I would SWAG $4000-$5000...but I think the market has softened on these as of late...

Thank you for the input. Appreciate the suggested values. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and run the range of values I have received on the USMF, and other sties. I guess, it's a matter of coming up with the high end price and putting them on the market. If he can actually split up the collection and sell individually. Thanks again.

1919 around $2500

the 1917 $6000 since it's built on an Izzy 1919 parts kit with an aftermarket water jacket, not a true 1917 kit.

If they were done by a know reputable building on common side plates they could bring a little more? A lot depends on how you market them and if you're willing to pack and ship or if it's all local pick up? The market is full up with semi 1919's and they are easy to build. The 1917 varies a bit depending on the quality of the water jacket and from the pics it's hard to tell. There were a couple guys making these from scratch. Some are real nice, some are nice from far depending on what you wanted to spend? This one looks nice from far.

If it's all the guns I might be interested in making an offer? HTH

As was pointed out previously, the 1917A1 shown in the pictures above is comprised of an Israeli 1919 parts kit mated with an economy water jacket assembly produced by Lou Murtha of Ohio Black Sheep in Pierpont, OH. As far as I can tell, the only real '17A1 water cooled parts are the top latch and steam hose. The top cover and sight assembly may be real, but again, better pictures would be needed.

The 1917A1 tripod looks pretty nice. But again, more pictures would be needed. The leather strap is missing. A close up picture of the leather strap retaining badge should indicated who the original manufacturer was. Well, maybe.

1919 around $2500

the 1917 $6000 since it's built on an Izzy 1919 parts kit with an aftermarket water jacket, not a true 1917 kit.

If they were done by a know reputable building on common side plates they could bring a little more? A lot depends on how you market them and if you're willing to pack and ship or if it's all local pick up? The market is full up with semi 1919's and they are easy to build. The 1917 varies a bit depending on the quality of the water jacket and from the pics it's hard to tell. There were a couple guys making these from scratch. Some are real nice, some are nice from far depending on what you wanted to spend? This one looks nice from far.

If it's all the guns I might be interested in making an offer? HTH

As was pointed out previously, the 1917A1 shown in the pictures above is comprised of an Israeli 1919 parts kit mated with an economy water jacket assembly produced by Lou Murtha of Ohio Black Sheep in Pierpont, OH. As far as I can tell, the only real '17A1 water cooled parts are the top latch and steam hose. The top cover and sight assembly may be real, but again, better pictures would be needed.

The 1917A1 tripod looks pretty nice. But again, more pictures would be needed. The leather strap is missing. A close up picture of the leather strap retaining badge should indicated who the original manufacturer was. Well, maybe.

Thanks to everyone that commented. I appreciate it. The Vet, not so much. No matter what I tell him, he still thinks the 1917 is worth $30k. And that all of the his other items are up there in price even though not authentic. Oh well, I gave it a shot to give him the best information I could gather with everyone's assistance here. He said he will call Jay Leno, and that surely he would see the value in his collection. I told him if Jay didn't step up, I would still help him sell what he wished to sell.

Thats a shame. Many real machine gun collectors have posted, I know severa of those that have commented. Guys that actually buy, sell and shoot this stuff. Sometimes reality is the toughest thing to grasp and is not a skill easily fought.

Youre a trooper for trying to help, but likely will be best to let his heirs deal with it when the time comes. Sounds like hes not really ready to let go of the collection yet.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

There is a legitimate M1917A1 transferable machinegun on gunbroker that has been sitting for almost a year at $26k. I’m no expert, but I think it looks very nice for the price, if I had the dough to throw at a machinegun I’d go for it. But at $26k it just isn’t selling. $25k for a SA replica? Nonsense. And that M1919A6 isn’t an A6. It has an Israeli bipod designed to attach to an A4. A real A6 has a shorter barrel jacket, lighter barrel, a different booster, a flash hider and an integrated bipod. I think $2500 with only the gun and no accessories is about right. Maybe a tad more in the right market. But $20-30k? Insanity. Show this gent the prices on gunbroker. Sounds to me like he doesn’t want to sell.

There is a legitimate M1917A1 transferable machinegun on gunbroker that has been sitting for almost a year at $26k. I’m no expert, but I think it looks very nice for the price, if I had the dough to throw at a machinegun I’d go for it. But at $26k it just isn’t selling. $25k for a SA replica? Nonsense. And that M1919A6 isn’t an A6. It has an Israeli bipod designed to attach to an A4. A real A6 has a shorter barrel jacket, lighter barrel, a different booster, a flash hider and an integrated bipod. I think $2500 with only the gun and no accessories is about right. Maybe a tad more in the right market. But $20-30k? Insanity. Show this gent the prices on gunbroker. Sounds to me like he doesn’t want to sell.

The '17A1 you are referring to is actually a hodgepodge of parts built mated with a surplus Argentine 1928 Colt parts kit. These parts kits came into the US about ten years ago. The quality of these Colt parts kits is extremely high, but they are not USGI.

I figured there was something up with that 1917 on GB, or else it wouldn’t have been sitting for so long. Still, nice gun.

If this weapon was built with all 1928 Colt Argentine parts instead of USGI, it would be worth considerably more than what is being asked for it now. Oh well, and so it goes...