Op Dragoon French Liaison - Berlin Brigade - WIA Korea

Bob Hudson

1.jpg

I often come across boxes filled with various types of insignia a a veteran accumulated during their years of militaria service. Usually it's mostly rank insignia and some loose ribbons, maybe a medal.

This one I found more interesting than most: the insignia does a good job of illustrating a diverse combat and staff career that included military boarding school, one year in the Marines, one year at West Point prep, 4 years USMA, Signal Corps liaison with the French First Army at Operation Dragoon, HQ 101st Airborne, getting wounded in Korea...and more.

Here's the timeline I compiled.

Lt Col Merritt Lambert Hewitt, US ARMY

Decorations: Army Commendation Medal, Purple Heart

1915 - Born 11 October 15, Alhambra, Los Angeles County, California

1931 - San Diego Army-Navy Academy to 1934

1934 - 22 August 34 to 1 July 35, Private, Company B, 13th Battalion, Fleet Marine Corps Reserve, Los Angeles. Discharged to enlist in Army

1935 - 1 July 35 to 22 June 36, Private, US Army West Point Preparatory School at 6th Coast Artillery Regiment, Fort Winfield Scott , San Francisco

1936 - Cadet US Military Academy 1 July 36 to 10 January 38 and from 29 August 38 to 10 June 41

1941 - Graduate USMA, 10 June 41 / REGULAR ARMY (RA) 2nd Lt. SIGNAL CORPS branch 11 June 41

1942 - 1 February 42 1st Lt. Fort Monmouth

1943 - 28 August 43 Graduated Command and General Staff School, Fort Leavenworth

1944 - January 44 Allied Forces HQ, Algiers and Italy / August 44, Sixth Army Group, Operation Dragoon commanding US Signal Liaison Detachment with the First French Army

1945 - May 45 HQ 6th Army Group Heidelberg / 7TH Army / Berlin, OMGUS Office of Military Government, United States: spent 2.5 years supervising reconstruction of US Zone civilian telephone and telegraph systems

1946 - 4 October 46 Major

1947 - 1 May 47 transfered to CAVALRY branch

1948 - Armor School Instructor / G 3 Section, HQ, 101st Airborne, Camp Breckinridge / Basic Airborne and Pathfinder courses / 1 July 48, Captain

1950 - Armor School Advanced Officer Course / S 3 73rd Tank Battallion Korea / 30 August 50 wounded at Pohang

1952 - Canadian Army Staff Course / S 3 at the Pentagon working on NATO standardization

1953 - 13 April 53 Lt. Col / 2 July 53 Major

1955 - Commanding Officer 899th Tank Battallion, Germany / G 4 COMZ (US Army’s European logistical network), Orleans, France

1958 - Instructor, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth

1961 - 3 May 61, Medical retirement

2.jpg

I think I found the reason for his Glider badge - I had thought he might have landed in one when serving with the French army in Op. Dragoon, but it's apparently a post-war qualification badge.

Wikipedia sez: "By 1949 glider training still took place but was included in the basic Airborne course, which was then five weeks long. The first week of the course covered air transportability training, which included glider training."

He took the basic Airborne course right about that time and that would seem to qualify him based on having "satisfactorily completed a course of instruction."

14.jpg

14a.jpg

15.jpg

Inside the book TANK WAR KOREA by Simon Dunstan was Hewitt's hand-written note about getting wounded in action. The book has a photo of his 73rd Tank Battallion in action just six days before then-Major Hewitt was wounded at Pohang while getting a tank company ready to load for the Inchon landing. He spent several months recovering in San Francisco.

16.jpg

16a.jpg

His experience working with other nations is notable, beginning with his 1944 command of a Signal Corps liaison detachment that went into Operation Dragoon with the French First Army. In the 1950's his family accompied him on overseas assignments up until he returned to Fort Leavenworth as faculty.

19.jpg

(His daughter became a Naval officer, his son a Fire Captain)

The Leavenworth Lamp was presented to him upon his retirement in 1961.

He had an "almost disabling physical condition for two years, and three long hospital stays," according to a typed family history of his career. It appears the military doctors thought it couldn't be fixed so he had to take a medical retirement.

"A skilled civilian surgeon quickly diagnosed the problem (herniated disc) and returned Merritt to full health," the family history adds.

With his background it seems a shame he could not do another 10 years or so. He was successful in a 30+ year civilian career.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I see this post is around a year old but stumbled upon this on google looking to see if I could find pictures of my grandfather when he was part of 6th army group. In the group photo, I think I see him in the third row towards center almost in line with the second from left officer in the first row, can you verify this possible. His name was Leo F Minton. Also, is there a soldier by the name of Silas Sparks named on there as well? I remember my grandfather mentioning him often.

thanks

Kevin

12 minutes ago, KevinUSAF said:

can you verify this possible.

I no longer have the original photos so whatever's posted on this page is it, unless the person who bought there from me pops in - but I don't recall who it was, but think it was a forum member.

Just now, Bob Hudson said:

I no longer have the original photos so whatever's posted on this page is it, unless the person who bought there from me pops in - but I don't recall who it was, but think it was a forum member.

Hi,

thanks for your reply! It’s very much appreciated!!

thanks again!

kevin