vietnam kia purple heart group

rory8817

Hi id just like to hear someone elses opinion on this group. I have two concerns which are the purple heart is not engraved. I would have thought it would be officially engraved as he was K.I.A.? Also the picture does not match the rank and insignia of a pfc in the USMC?

Thanks

post-124825-0-14725800-1548112719_thumb.jpg

post-124825-0-20961200-1548112730_thumb.jpg

You'd have to do a lot of research to be sure these items belonged to the same person.

Davis was 20yrs old and that photo looks WW2 vintage to me.

In May 1968, I would expect a Marine KIA PH to be engraved.

GLENN EDWIN DAVIS

is honored on Panel 55E, Line 8 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

I did find another picture on the vvmf website but its very small and hard to say if its the same man. Id say this group would be just bought as individual items.

Photo is US Army WWII Tech 5 in the Hawaiian Department. Now, could be his did or uncle or someone else if they came from an estate OR someone just threw them all together because they are military. I'd research Davis on Ancestry.com and see if you can figure out the family tree.... but as it stands, it's 3 things lumped together that may not have anything to do with each other and that should be how it is priced.

It is possible that the Certificate and Purple Heart are to the same recipient - I have had 2 KIA Marine Groups that did not have named Purple Hearts - It was said that after April 1968 following the 1968 TET Offensive that the Marine Corps was so backlogged with engraving requests for posthumous Purple Hearts that HQ USMC decided to end the practice of engraving Purple Hearts.

Bill

Kurt Barickman

Yes thats true as my brother s KIA Purple Heart who was KIA on 7/27/1969 who was with Lima/3/5th 1st Marine Division is not government engraved.

Kurt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Vietnam-War-Purple-Heart-Military-Medal-USMC-Marines-Glen-E-Davis-wz2151/202567407992

Thanks for all the info, for anyone interested here is the group listed on ebay. Its going for more than i was willing to bid. I did find the man on ancestory.com and messaged a member that added in a family tree. If i get a reply ill post.

My brain had it that it was July 1968 that they stopped engraving Purple Hearts for the USMC...somewhere I have tarbridge's document screenshotted that came with an unengraved PH stating that the USMC had changed their policy...but I can't find it for the life of me (the thread is on here, I think from 2016 or so...)

Anyway, with that said, even if the PH and document do belong together, the photo doesn't fit (unless it's the guy's dad or uncle or something). I also note there was an English or Australian made pin back piece of insignia in the bottom of the PH box...something I'd expect more from a WW2 vintage piece than a Vietnam KIA medal. But that's just me...