eBay to Usmf sales page ethics

kammo-man

This week I was made aware of something that I see happening all the time but usually don’t comment on it.

Yes It was brought to my attention by a member that a Cammo suit sold on eBay last Sunday and was sent pictures.

It was a nice nam Cammo suit.

The seller sold it way below reasonable value.

That was his name em deal no one made him do it.

When something like this happens it’s interesting to see where an item will show up.

It’s just a matter of time.

Then hey presto it shows up 5 days later in the usmf sales page and the price being asked had climbed to $3500.

Uuuuuuuuium

Anyone can ask what they want but here I just thought it was a bit much

Is it ethical to do this ?

Posted Image

Here’s eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This stuff happens all the time, everyone has a good score every now and again. Im sure dealers get stuff at flea markets for great deals or they wouldnt be in business. I think he started it fairly high given what he had into it imo. But then again most of us dont usually know how much someone has into something when they sell. This is sort of a rare instance

What makes you think it’s unethical? You said yourself that “the seller sold it way below ‘reasonable’ value.” Surely you don’t sell things for the same price that you paid, do you? Call it capitalism, Econ 101, or free market economy, that’s how the world works. I see nothing wrong here.

In the world of "collectibles" there is no set value to anything. (And even less if my stuff in in my wife's way!)

But the "buy low - sell high" seems to work for the rest of the economy and it seems even more so with rarer stuff.

The problem is more with the internet keeping track every time someone farts. As a wise man once told me "what I paid for it is irrelevant - do you want to buy it or not?"

It is capitalism...some work harder...some work with more luck...some work smarter...but they work and are rewarded. Our commercial entity involving militaria makes and looses money like other businesses. The person buying and selling must add the morality and scruples. The person who bought this off Ebay educated himself where the seller never bothered, he paid the asking price.Fair deal no matter where he offers it up for sale and for whatever number he asks.

IMO there is too much thought into this. As said if I go and pick up something at the flea market or acquired legally and sold for any profit on this site for example - there is no issue. Captalism? You betcha!! Don't forget buy and sell can be for a loss as well..

Chris

I'm with Mr. Jerry & Robert on this. Collectors deal in "Trash & Treasure" Finding an obscure collectible at a low price is the reason for the 'hunt' by many collectors. The $10 dollar helmet at a yard sale; the $50 dollar patched A-2 in an antique mall; the $5.00 patched 101st Ike jacket at a rag mill etc. etc. etc. will unlikely be sold for those prices in the collector's market. It's just the way it is. My 2-cents. Bobgee

Would you follow this business model Robert ?

O...if you ask if I'm embarrassed about my manner of conducting business...absolutely not.

This gentleman bought a BIN and now attempts to resale...would it be different if he sold to another dealer...collectible store...auction?

I don't see anything unethical...I have undersold things before and the purchasers made money off my undervaluing the item.

There is no ethics problem here.

If you look hard enough and long enough, once in a while you find a good score and can make a profit.

Good for him if he can get it. Hope I can have that kind of luck.

This matter was brought to my attention by a moderator on USMF who had the feeling the Sales page was being abused by this type of glaring obvious profiteering.

This matter was brought to my attention by a moderator on USMF who had the feeling the Sales page was being abused by this type of glaring obvious profiteering.

...then said moderator needs to look in the mirror to see if he/she sees the word "jealousy" appearing in the reflection....

No one is obligated to buy anything...no crime was committed....if someone wanted to give the owner an offer, they are free to do so.....

People in society today just need to relax a bit, and avoid jumping straight to the "I'M OFFENDED! THIS NEEDS TO BE BANNED!" button for every little thing.

tdogchristy90

I think we are missing the nuance here guys. Yes you have a right to buy/sell as you wish. You also need to realize there's a reason people question our hobby and compare it to trading in baseball cards. There has to be a middle ground.

Yes you have the right to party, but if you're getting someone pregnant every month people are going to question you on it. We've become to polarized.

There is a middle ground here between having fun with the hobby and honoring these guys. Let's try and see that middle ground.

mhalstead1950

I will say I picked up an original 5th special forces beret at a garage sale for 3 bucks, honestly I wasn't even sure what it was or what it could be worth. I had seen repops on ebay and didn't know if it was authentic or not and I put it on the forums Real or What section and had it authenticity verified. I sold it for $135 and while I had kept it in my collection for months I still made 45 times my money. From the response I got on it I think I sold it for a very fair price. Regardless of my profit margin I never felt like I was doing anything wrong, I just lucked out. I think line appears when one is willing to deceive a seller in order to get something you know full well is extremely valuable in order to get it dirt cheap.

It is the same old discussion...should you make money...how much is acceptable...Dealers are profiteers...Collectors are benevolent

I don't believe you're dishonoring anybody or a memory by making a profit.The reason so many of these Military collectables survive is because of their monetary worth that coincides with the historical value.

Business is business no doubt

Putting something for sale from eBay to the sales stand at a massive markup in 5 days is telling the original seller he’s a dummy.

Pretty in your face FU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you dont seem to notice is this happens all the time between dealers. You dont think dealers sell stuff and see it back on the market for way more than they sold it for ?? Ive undersold stuff on eBay that Ive seen make its rounds on here. Not to mention the guy who sold it on eBay probably has no clue its even for sale on here. He most likely made a tidey profit and didnt payment much for it either

I would agree that there is an unwritten rule in the militaria code that suggests that if you score something super cheap at show, it is bad form to turn around and reprice it and immediately put it on your table. Generally accepted practice is to save it for the next show or put it on your website, etc. That's more of a "decorum" issue than ethics....because the passage of time doesn't change anything for practical purposes. The original price was the same. The profit is the same. The only variable is the perception.

Personally, most of the time I have better things to worry about. People can do what they want, as long as they are not ripping me off or abusing me, my wife, or my table helper.

tdogchristy90

Well said sir.

I would agree that there is an unwritten rule in the militaria code that suggests that if you score something super cheap at show, it is bad form to turn around and reprice it and immediately put it on your table. Generally accepted practice is to save it for the next show or put it on your website, etc. That's more of a "decorum" issue than ethics....because the passage of time doesn't change anything for practical purposes. The original price was the same. The profit is the same. The only variable is the perception.

Personally, most of the time I have better things to worry about. People can do what they want, as long as they are not ripping me off or abusing me, my wife, or my table helper.