FSSF arrow head - unknown?

Steve1987

Hi,

Can someone please help me out with this FSSF arrow head. It doesn't match up with the types I've seen. Does anyone know when this one was made and if it has any value?

46692115232_6d2f5d174e_b.jpg

45829418405_3084bbdc01_b.jpg

Thanks!!

-Steve

Thanks for the quick reply!

I want to post this one for discussion because I just haven't seen one like it before, and I'm not overly familiar with FSSF arrow heads.

-Steve

All from one Force vet.He had a lot of patches.My dad traded off around 20 more.THe 4th Ranger was added for display.I think have have a few more of his 474th patches

post-342-0-87191000-1547512873_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-96988100-1547512926_thumb.jpg

Thanks Doyler, mine appears similar to one of yours as well?

Cheers,

-Steve

Steve

Could be.Looks ok to me.

The base material more olive drab or tan?...just curious.was thinking the light may have gave the color tone a different hue.

I know a black light isn't a tell all.I have seen a few patches that don't glow but the base material will

Steve

Could be.Looks ok to me.

The base material more olive drab or tan?...just curious.was thinking the light may have gave the color tone a different hue.

I know a black light isn't a tell all.I have seen a few patches that don't glow but the base material will

Hi doyler,

It is more olive drab than tan in my opinion. No glow anywhere, I tested it a few weeks ago.

Cheers,

-Steve

The reverse looks like it has synthetic return threads. I think it is a repro. Synthetic return threads look like fish string. Here is an original to compare to.

-Ski

post-3043-0-13910000-1547602941_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ski,

I have some for sure originals as well, the one I posted I was not so sure about....It is a bit synthetic like when I rub my finger on the reverse. I suppose you could say it's a bit 'fishy' and also not well cut around the edges. The type you posted I am much more comfortable with, it is exactly what I expect and identical to my for sure originals.

I showed the one I posted to another fellow who is well versed and he was thinking perhaps an association made patch, he suspects some were made for the vets later but we're not sure when or if actually did occur. Or if these were made later for some purpose.

Of course, there is also a chance it is simply a finely crafted fake. There is surprisingly however no glow, but we all know that test is not always effective. I would hate to sell mine as original if there is any debate.

Cheers,

-Steve

• 1 month later...

The reverse looks like it has synthetic return threads. I think it is a repro. Synthetic return threads look like fish string. Here is an original to compare to.

-Ski

I agree with Ski.

The translucent reverse thread is not the rayon thread used during WWII.

Another pointer is the exposed khaki edge. WWII US made SSI were hand cut to the edge.

I wouldn't have that type of SSI in my collection, one that ski posted is a better example of WWII era to have.

(Note the image shows a grey shadow outline my lack of Photoshop skill).

Phill

post-7582-0-73316900-1551375522_thumb.jpg