Info on early numbered PHs

emccomas

I am still trying to track down the actual status of PH # 7383, which is privately engraved to Lyle E. White. This is the only medal I have left from my collection.

I kept it because of the mystery..

I know from previous research and info that PH # 7380 is associated with AGO card # 7414.

I realize it is a long shot, but I am hoping that PH #7383 would be associated with AGO card # 7417.

A search for Lyle E White shows nothing related to an award of a Purple Heart.

So, I am looking for information on any other Purple Hearts numbered close to # 7383; and I am also looking for any information on AGO card # 7417.

No, this is not a needle in a haystack; this is a needle a field full of haystacks.

The search continues...can anyone provide any additional information.

FYI: This topic has been discussed in depth many times in this forum; those that are unfamiliar with it please do a search in this forum on "Lyle E White".

PS: I asked Ancestry (the company that runs the genealogical website) about scanning in the AGO cards and providing that information to their members. Ancestry responded that they have asked a number of times about doing this, and the government (National Archives, whoever) will not allow it. The government does not provide a reason why not. None of the information on AGO cards is classified or covered by privacy issues.

Went back and read up on your treasure hunt here Ed. I did not read anywhere that you could make out the original name, I am sure they would have done a good job of sanding the back down to re-engrave it. This reminded me of how the FBI sometimes recovers serial numbers from guns when they have been ground off. What little I recall is they use some kind of acid (sadly I don't remember what kind) and the compressed/stressed metal, from being stamped, shows up where the missing numbers were. I think the compressed metal discolors differently than the surrounding metal giving like a ghost image. Sounds a little destructive but its an option when searching for the truth. And it would be interesting to be able to see both names, and I think acceptable if it helps fill in the blanks. It is a big step though and I think I would create a test sample first and get the process down first.

dhcoleterracina

The forensic approach is a good idea. We used to hook up a car battery to raise the numbers on a ground down engine block. The difference is that with the engine block, the numbers are impressed into the metal. In the case of the medal the name was engraved into the medal. Good thought but I don't think it would work in this case.

The forensic approach is a good idea. We used to hook up a car battery to raise the numbers on a ground down engine block. The difference is that with the engine block, the numbers are impressed into the metal. In the case of the medal the name was engraved into the medal. Good thought but I don't think it would work in this case.

Ah yes, good point this being engraved and not stamped.

Using the ancestry route (Name you have) if you have several family living together you may be able to narrow your reverse search using given name searches and various spellings and know locations. Without other family members it is near impossible though.

The engraving in WWI PHs is not very deep to begin with, so I don't expect any forensic approach to be very successful.

That is why I am looking for AGO card # 7417.

Long shot, but the only shot I know of at this point.