Shortened US issued machete?

Flip74

Hi all,

I recently got this machete. Unfortunately, rust has destroyed all markings if there weren't any. The handle reminds me of US machetes though.

I did some research in this forum and it looks like a shortened Collins & Co. Legitimus machete. However, I'm not at all familiar with machetes.

The machete is about 16 inches long and the blade measures 10.5 inches.

What's your opinion?

Thanks and best regards

Philipp

post-99027-0-69436300-1547400680_thumb.jpg

post-99027-0-51925700-1547400693_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

Flip:

From the blade profile, it looks to me like what you have there is not a shortened machete. Rather, it appears to me to be a US Marine Corps No. 1001 Intrenching Machete (sometimes spelled "Entrenching"). These were made by Collins and Henry Disston. Collectors sometimes call them the 'square tip bolo', but the Marines considered them a machete and featured them in the Landing Force Manual of the 1930s. They are a heavy duty blade and are sometimes seen in WW2 pics, although I think they were obsolescent by the start of the War. They are similar in size and heft to the USMC Medical Corpsman knife.

I have examples of both the Disston and the Collins in my collection but can't seem to find any pics of them handy right now. A search of the Forum will turn up some other threads on the No. 1001 machete.

This machete typically had wooden scales. I have never seen one with black composition handles shown on your example. Very interesting.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Just to illustrate the overall look of the machete and it's rather unique scabbard, I pulled this quick pic off of a sold example on ebay.

USMC Entrenching Machete No 1001.jpg

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! That's great information!

Could it be that the black handle was mounted at a later date e.g. for the purpose of reactivation or do you think that the machete is a genuine version?

Maybe somebody else can shed light on that? Feel free to give your opinion.

Thanks

Philipp

NOT a 1001 intrenching Machete or later version. Blade thickness a definite difference. Also, the rivets do not appear to be COLLINS but need a better look.

IMO this is a cut down machete but probably not a Collins. For the lack of better info: just someones'home shop yard tool.