2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 25,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

I am familiar with the "Letters of Recommendation from Pastor to church members" used by some denominations and this appears to be one written in 1865 by John W. Lane, Chaplain, 80th Illinois "pastor Union Army Church," 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 4th Army Corps. I am helping a friend liquidate her CW collection and she mentioned a bible carried by a Union soldier - which is cool. But when she showed me folded papers in back of the small bible, my focus changed when I saw the the Chaplain's letter written as part of his official duties. How common are official documents from Union chaplains? 

The bible was carried by Isaiah P. Watts who became prominent in Indiana political and public affairs: a detailed bio is at http://www.ingenweb....ies/WattsIP.htm

Enlisted in Company H, Indiana 84th Infantry Regiment on 14 Aug 1862.Mustered out on 14 Jun 1865 at Nashville, TN.

Inside the cover he wrote a note about the bible being carried in the war. 

THROUGH THE WAR 1861

TO 1865 IN MY KNAPSACK

I.P. WATTS

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

Attached Images

• 8.jpg

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

The name Inez Watts is written in the bible: Inez became the wife of E. F. Tibbott, who was private secretary to President Benjamin Harrison.

That's great provenance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users