A Tale of Two Brothers

jmar

Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a thread here, I do apologize for that. Much has been happening, but I have high hopes that I’ll be able to be more active again. I’ve been narrowing my collecting way down with my primary interest being Delaware State military service, with a focus on Mexican Border and WW I service.

For your viewing is a pair of WW I Delaware State Service medals. One to a younger brother who was KIA. The other to the older, surviving brother who became the commander of an American Legion Post, named after his fallen brother.

An interesting side note: these medals were purchased years apart. At first I didn’t think there was a connection, since in a newspaper article and in an alumni memorial, the surviving brother was listed with the middle initial “I”. But with continued research, including U.S. Census records, as well as other newspaper articles and draft registration cards, I’ve confirmed without a doubt that the “I” was a typo and they were indeed brothers.

The KIA brother was 358th Infantry, 90th Division as a machine gunner, he was killed in the battle of Argonne on October, 1918. The surviving brother in the 76th Field Artillery, he passed in 1951.

Thank you for stopping by and viewing my post.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-71278000-1547326628_thumb.jpg