Another image found on line

https://www.collecto...hter-squadron-p

#27 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,787
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:40 AM

Similar to the VF-13 patch Kurt mentioned in his post #24, the image below shows a VF-13 patch consisting of a decal, or possibly silk screened, Hellcat face and crossed .50 caliber bullets superimposed over gold leaf Navy wings (that have flaked off) on a leather background. It was part of a grouping sold on ebay in 2014 and was attributed to VF-13 pilot LT(jg) Francis Simrill. This image was from the seller, the patch is not in my collection.

Attached Images

• $_57ytgv.jpg

#28 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
    • Member ID: 369
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:52 AM

To get all info in one thread. Here is examples of Kurt decal and Rick decals/patch.

Attached Images

• VF-13 Black Cats 07.JPG

Edited by jerry_k, 14 January 2019 - 05:55 AM.

#29 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:54 AM

Attached Images

• VF-13 Black Cats 01.jpg

#30 walika

walika
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,624
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

I have been in business a Long time 39 years and have owned only two originals of the VF-13 like that.I would have paid as a dealer 600.00 just to get my hot big hands on that one.In my opinion it looks Aussie made by the construction.Scotty

Great to know. Indeed, Aussie made. Plush wool, deep embroidery, linen backed.

This one just on eBay (the subject of this post) is only the second I have ever seen, and I bought. :)

For clarification, none of the examples in my VF-13 post referenced above incorporate a decal for artwork as did some USN/USMC insignia during WWII. (I notice my Type I description did not state it, but it is painted leather.)

Type-1 (dark leather, wings 5-1/2" across) painted leather.

Type-2 (embroidered on navy tan wool, wings 5-1/4" across)

Type-3 (painted leather, wings 5-3/4" across) below.

As for the eBay patch, it is genuine, Aussie made. (see above). It is impressive, substantially larger than the other varieties.

#31 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:45 AM

Hi Rick.

Thanks for clarification of your mentioned examples patches. Very precise work if your previous patches are painted vs silk screened. 

It is still a little bit mistery for me why this VF-13 patch is Aussie made connected if this squadron never been even close to Australian cost during his cruise. 

Regards,

Jerry

#32 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

The question impossed here is a very Good observation and maybe we can get some clarification. Hows does an Australian made patch get ordered and shipped to a carrier based aviation unit that operated in the region north of the Philippines and targets over Iwo Jima and Formosa?

VF-13 was established in November 1943 deploying for combat duty in March 1944-November 1944 aboard the USS Franklin. 

Unlikely squadron insignia was ordered from Australia at the time of their formation half way across the world. It would be more likely after their cruise and sometime before their disestablishment in October 1945, maybe.. 

Is it possible that this patch and many others like it were made in the immediate post war era as novelty pieces? After all this insignia was better well known and distributed in publications such as Patch King did, for example.  

I'm merely injecting a conversation and not questioning the authenticity of it being made in Australia but rather questioning if it was actually intended for the squadron itself and more orientated towards public sale. 

#33 Jeffro

Jeffro
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,489
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

I still say it's US machine embroidered. Hopefully, when you have it in hand Rick, you are able to better evaluate it. Although it's certainly possible that they were procured during an R&R trip to Australia by someone tasked with the assignment, I'm just not seeing the signs of Aussie embroidery on this one. It'd be really difficult to have exact details of such an intricate design between different examples as well based on the Aussie made patches I've seen. Jeffro

#34 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

During the six month combat cruise of the USS Franklin with Air Group 13 that comprised of VF-13, the closest they got to any Australian metropolitan area was about 1800-2000 miles.  During combat carrier cruises short births were made for re-supply purposes but these typically only last a couple days between strikes then off to form task groups for further operations, only once or twice depending on attrition rates of those supplies. They did not make an R&R adventure to Australia. 

After their final strikes near the Japanese mainland they steamed for home, back in the states by the end of the year 1944. Though the official disbandment of the squadron was made in October 1945, once they hit the shores of the USA its dismantlement had begun. As often when a combat cruise was over, all members of the air group and squadrons were reassigned attached to other air groups, sent for duty as instructors and the like. After a few months, VF-13 only existed on paper with all of its members attached to new stations. VF-13 would never see combat again. The disestablishment was merely a formality after the war. 

The logistics of an Australian made squadron insignia patch just doesn't fit the bigger picture.   

#35 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

Hi guys.

I made a cleaning my old email box and found some photos from VF-13 LT(jg) Francis Simrill grouping from my old friend collection.

I guess this one page show true WW2 VF-13 insignia used by squadron during his cruise.

Regards,

Jerry

Attached Images

• VF-13 Black Cats 08aaa.jpg
  • VF-13 Black Cats 08.jpg
  • VF-13 Black Cats 08a.jpg

#36 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:16 AM

Hi guys.

I made a cleaning my old email box and found some photos from VF-13 LT(jg) Francis Simrill grouping from my old friend collection.

I guess this one page show true WW2 VF-13 insignia used by squadron during his cruise.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for posting those images from your old email. I have and so has Disney Dave [moderator] been looking for confirmation that this was one of Walt's wartime insignia designs and not a clone or knockoff made during the war by someone other than Walt or his company. I had shown my letterhead to Dave but he couldn't find it in his database and confirm the artist-As some may know, while there were over 1000 different designs made by his company for our troops, sometimes artists within units created designs using his characters - but not officially made by him. I have been searching for definitive proof this was one of his and that book has all the proof I needed to see.

dave

#37 walika

walika
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,624
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

Hi guys.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,

What a treasure this book is. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

#38 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,787
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the excellant post Jerry. The Disney origins of their insignia was confirmed earlier in post #23 of this thread. As stated in the squadron history below an illustration of the insignia, " The fiery cat's head was drawn for this squadron by the Walt Disney Studios, and the design was conceived and assembled by Lieut. George C. Heinrich, USNR, Squadron Air Combat Intelligence Officer."

#39 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the excellant post Jerry. The Disney origins of their insignia was confirmed earlier in post #23 of this thread. As stated in the squadron history below an illustration of the insignia, " The fiery cat's head was drawn for this squadron by the Walt Disney Studios, and the design was conceived and assembled by Lieut. George C. Heinrich, USNR, Squadron Air Combat Intelligence Officer."

Must have missed that post and can't read on my small screen and don't have fold3 account at this time :) Thanks for transcribing

#40 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,133 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

That book is cool! I havent seen that one before. 

Kurt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users