#1 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 247
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:45 AM

MapIMG_5530.JPG

Jefferson Barracks Separation Center.  GI's returning from overseas gather at separation centers such as this.  Of particular interest, see upper left corner.  Shown is a clothing warehouse where they would turn in their old clothing for new if necessary.  Below that is where they would receive their discharge insignia, which was sewn above the right breast pocket of the Ike or Service coat.

#2 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,812
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:09 AM

Wow! How super cool! Thanks for sharing! I've never seen anything showing a separation center. Counselling . . . Barber Shop . . . really cool! I have a WWII Navy blouse (?) with the discharged patch sewn on it!

#3 Chap15

Chap15
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,429
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for posting.

Question.  Next to the "counseling" is that "Medical"?  

Also, is there a chapel anywhere on this portion of the map or anywhere else in the booklet?

Thanks!!!

attachicon.gifMapIMG_5530.JPG

Jefferson Barracks Separation Center.  GI's returning from overseas gather at separation centers such as this.  Of particular interest, see upper left corner.  Shown is a clothing warehouse where they would turn in their old clothing for new if necessary.  Below that is where they would receive their discharge insignia, which was sewn above the right breast pocket of the Ike or Service coat.

#4 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 247
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

The building is designated "Medics" where I assume they get necessary shots, etc. before going home.  There is no chapel anywhere on the map at the Separation Center, but certainly on the Main Post heading north in the upper right of the map.

#5 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Jack for posting this one, my father went through there in Sept. of 45 and described how crowed it was with troops getting discharged.  He lived close enough to St. Louis that he was told to go home, and they'd call when his turn came up.  He came home to Iowa went back to his old job and worked about 30 days before getting the call to return.

#6 Chap15

Chap15
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,429
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

Thanks.

The building is designated "Medics" where I assume they get necessary shots, etc. before going home.  There is no chapel anywhere on the map at the Separation Center, but certainly on the Main Post heading north in the upper right of the map.

#7 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

Interesting map/brochure. Thanks for showing!

Here is a similar one for Fort Lawton, Washington. It's in the form of a booklet. The map shows all the locations and then the rest of the booklet explains each location and a how-to.

Kim

Attached Images

• MVC-196S.JPG
  • MVC-197S.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users