Heading Home from War

Jumpin Jack

post-247-0-04636400-1547195706_thumb.jpg

Jefferson Barracks Separation Center. GI's returning from overseas gather at separation centers such as this. Of particular interest, see upper left corner. Shown is a clothing warehouse where they would turn in their old clothing for new if necessary. Below that is where they would receive their discharge insignia, which was sewn above the right breast pocket of the Ike or Service coat.

Wow! How super cool! Thanks for sharing! I've never seen anything showing a separation center. Counselling . . . Barber Shop . . . really cool! I have a WWII Navy blouse (?) with the discharged patch sewn on it!

Thanks for posting.

Question. Next to the "counseling" is that "Medical"?

Also, is there a chapel anywhere on this portion of the map or anywhere else in the booklet?

Thanks!!!

attachicon.gifMapIMG_5530.JPG

Jefferson Barracks Separation Center. GI's returning from overseas gather at separation centers such as this. Of particular interest, see upper left corner. Shown is a clothing warehouse where they would turn in their old clothing for new if necessary. Below that is where they would receive their discharge insignia, which was sewn above the right breast pocket of the Ike or Service coat.

The building is designated "Medics" where I assume they get necessary shots, etc. before going home. There is no chapel anywhere on the map at the Separation Center, but certainly on the Main Post heading north in the upper right of the map.

Thanks Jack for posting this one, my father went through there in Sept. of 45 and described how crowed it was with troops getting discharged. He lived close enough to St. Louis that he was told to go home, and they'd call when his turn came up. He came home to Iowa went back to his old job and worked about 30 days before getting the call to return.

Thanks.

The building is designated "Medics" where I assume they get necessary shots, etc. before going home. There is no chapel anywhere on the map at the Separation Center, but certainly on the Main Post heading north in the upper right of the map.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting map/brochure. Thanks for showing!

Here is a similar one for Fort Lawton, Washington. It's in the form of a booklet. The map shows all the locations and then the rest of the booklet explains each location and a how-to.

Kim

post-60-0-25524500-1548010455.jpg

post-60-0-95884300-1548010475_thumb.jpg