14 replies to this topic

#1 Okie96

Okie96
  • Members
    • Member ID: 107,405
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:07 PM

https://www.ebay.com...LoUp:rk:12:pf:0

Thoughts on this shell?I'm thinking the wear looks fairly even but a little artificial.

#2 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

A militaria dealer is selling it and he provided a very "luke warm" statement of originality (i.e., "Found it at an antique fair 20 years ago.  I have no reason to think it's fake").    

You should assume the paint job is fake.  You have to have iron clad provenance on these things, as otherwise there's no way to tell if one is original. (many think they can tell, but they can't)

#3 Simon Lerenfort

Simon Lerenfort
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,177
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:46 AM

If that is a real 29th ID lid I will eat my garrison cap! The insignia isn't original for sure.

#4 268th C.A.

268th C.A.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 87,654
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:14 AM

KurtA nailed it. Unless its in my hand and I have a loupe. And then it still can be questionable. I laughf at painted helmets...

#5 everforward

everforward
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,237
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:35 AM

My .02:

I echo some of what the other guys have said here....I’d need a good deal of time with it to really determine if it all adds up to being the real deal.

Having said that, there are pics of some helmets from WW2 (later in the war, not Normandy period) that show the eBay helmet’s style and placement of the emblem. There were many that were painted up like this in the post WW2-era NG days as well.....some of the Sutherland Brothers helmet finds from the DRMO have this look (I don’t think any of those had straps though...)

Keep these cliches in mind when getting ready to buy: ‘Let your conscience be your guide’.........’To thine own self be true’.....

#6 thorin6

thorin6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,546
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

A couple of things.  The insignia looks like it was recovered by removing paint from the shell.  I've seen one like that at a show, where the guy behind the table (another collector selling his excess stuff) showed it to me stating that it came out of a bunch of helmets he bought from an LEO organization.  He saw the impression and cleaned the paint off.  He wasn't selling it, just brought it to show some folks and we got talking.  As far as I know he still has it.

Secondly, the bidding was started at $100 and the seller has a 30-day return period so it might be worth a shot if the size of the insignia is right and you want it in your hands for a closeup examination.

That being said, no idea if this the real deal.

#7 blitz67

blitz67
  • Members
    • Member ID: 683
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

Kurt, this is my helmet, I have no reason to believe it is fake, it may not be text book but the insignia does appear to be good, in fact it was covered with blue paint when I found it, looked like a blue dot, I just had to rub it off with soap and water and this was underneath.  I guess I could have made up a nice story about, but I am not a thief or a fraudster. I started it at $100 because it is not text book and people have asked the same questions about it.

A militaria dealer is selling it and he provided a very "luke warm" statement of originality (i.e., "Found it at an antique fair 20 years ago.  I have no reason to think it's fake").    

You should assume the paint job is fake.  You have to have iron clad provenance on these things, as otherwise there's no way to tell if one is original. (many think they can tell, but they can't)

#8 blitz67

blitz67
  • Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

Simon, I disagree with you 100% I am not selling this as a fake helmet, I believe it to be 100% legit, but we are all welcome to our opinions, I also have a generous return policy, no BS going on here.

If that is a real 29th ID lid I will eat my garrison cap! The insignia isn't original for sure.

#9 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,167
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

I had a very similar helmet at one time, it was the general opinion of members I asked about it that the marking was either late war or post-WWII NG marked, but nonetheless the location of the marking was almost identical. Given the return policy and the fact that the seller is a member here and has come into the conversation, I think there is little risk if you're interested in a 29th marked helmet. In addition, I have dealt with Brad on a few occasions and found him to be an honest stand-up guy!

Rick

Edited by 1canpara, 11 January 2019 - 12:02 PM.

#10 blitz67

blitz67
  • Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Rick, yes no risk at all, I just refunded a guy a German helmet on WAF after 5ive weeks. Not trying to scam anyone, thanks again for all the comments. I can only say that I found this long before US helmet collecting came in to its own and never had any reason to doubt its authenticity. However, I always stand by my items and offer 100% refund including shipping both ways. It could very well be post war or national guard. When I bought it, the tag actually said "Blue dot helmet " the insignia was covered with blue paint which I removed, no chemicals just soap and water. Thanks again! 

#11 Burning Hazard

Burning Hazard
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,715
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Photos for reference

Attached Images

• s-l1600.jpg

#12 Burning Hazard

Burning Hazard
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,715
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Photos for reference

Attached Images

• s-l1600 (1)-min.jpg

#13 Okie96

Okie96
  • Members
    • Member ID: 107,405
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. Went for $405. Wish I had it in my collection, alas, I was held up by bandits uhh, I mean had to pay tuition at the university. Seems someone got a nice 29th for a decent price. But an example of a probably WW2 29th shell for study now.

#14 shadawg

shadawg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 209,461
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

I see people talking about the insignia, but i didn't like the appeal of the helmet as it looked like the larger dent center front was hammered out. it was listed once before some time ago with a liner as well. This helmet just appeared too passed around

Attached Images

• Untitled.png

#15 Pegasus6

Pegasus6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 174,294
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

Yes, this helmet has been around. It should also be noted that there are 29th Collectors that have not commented on this thread, that would tell you in WWII the 29th did not use the Gray Color during WWII. Not in Paint, nor in decals. And would make this an "irregular" WWII, but more likely a post war. 

Great add on the previous pass around Shaw.

VR
Peg6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users