Unknown Navy Wing to start me off for 2019

The Rooster

Greeting to all!

I picked this up as it's totally different than any other Navy wing that I have. I have over 20 now and this is unique.

I've found its exact copy on Bob Scwartz Site

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy/pilot/quetelsterlingnavypilot.shtml

I cannot find any info on what it really is.

Its shoulders are different than most wings and the upper tip of the shield is off center

of the anchor post, which I dont see in other wings.

Is this a Blackington Pattern wing? Does anyone know?

Whatever it is, its different than most of my wings.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy hunting.

post-181333-0-14860800-1547095834_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-39988900-1547095844_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-42009800-1547095862_thumb.jpg

I posted one very similar to this back in 2010, and Cliff came up with some good info, in early 1942 the regs called for small feathers to be in the shoulder of the wing and for a very short period of time Robbins produced a wing with the small feathers rather than berries. The berries soon replaced the feathers and became standard. Yours may very well be one of those scarce Robbins mfg wings from early 1942.

What Terry is referring to is a pinned thread called -WWI Navy Wings?

That wing is different and the wing in this thread is not Robbins.

As Patrick said, you will probably never know for sure who’s wing it is, but it is nicely made.

Some have thought that it may be an early interpretation of the 1942 design change, but that’s just a theory.

Nice catch!

John

Thank you everyone for your input. I've been looking but I cant find anything. It looks very much like the blackinton pattern but the back is solid compared

to the blackinton's I've seen. Like John said its one of those mystery wings. All in all, even if I never find anything about it, I still like it!

Funny thing is, I know I've seen another pair just like it .... somewhere... maybe here?

Thanks again to all.

I have a set of these (although in not as good nick as yours, sadly):

Posted Image

Posted Image

It’s also included in United States Navy Wings of Gold (WW2 chapter, page 63) but is not attributed to any maker.

So there are more! Cuiriosly enough, In Navy wings of gold page 63 I find these two wings together....

No pics because i only have the pdf version of navy wings. The second description nails it.. But Im leaning toward this being made by Blakinton.. I have no proof but a Blackinton

wing is grouped on the same page as this. I know thats pretty sketchy at best but more research needed!

Above: Naval Aviator wing. Twelve berries in the shoulder ofeach wing, pierced Flukes andjew's Harp. Size: 70mm in width. Below: Reverse ofNaval Aviator wing. Hollow back, die struck, clutch fasteners, hallmarked Blackinton. Author's collection.

Above: Naval Aviator Wing. 71mm in width, twelve berries in the shoulder ofeach wing, Pierced Flukes and jew's Harp. Has very faint Becket. Below: Reverse ofNaval Aviator Wing. Die struck, hollow back shield, pin backfastener, marked 1/20 G.P. on STERllNG. Author's collection.

Thanks for the clue Kropotkin !

Of course I really have no idea of the maker but its going to be fun trying to find out! If possible?

It is this thread that makes me think this is either made by Blakinton or its a Blackinton pattern made by ???

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/220002-datemaker-of-naval-aviator-wings-help/