• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 quack1

quack1
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 210,161
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

When clearing out my parents house before selling, I came across these wings.  I know nothing about them and was wondering if they were real and from what era.  My father was a quartermaster on a cruiser during WW II, so not likely something he would have had.  Also had 5 uncles in the service during WW II, only one was in the navy, and he was on a destroyer, so not likely from him, either.  Also, my parents and all the uncles that were in WW II have died, so no help with info about the wings. The initials NLW are scratched on the back, no relative had these initials. I searched online and it seems there is a lot of confusion about Meyer wings. 

Any information would be appreciated, and if there is any collector interest in these, an approximate value.

They measure 2 5/8" wide, have a Meyer stamp, and the pin on the back only was designed to open to approximately 70 degrees.

Thanks for any info.

RSdOzcn.jpg

s8ZPXht.jpg

#2 Kropotkin

Kropotkin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,220
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:21 AM

They look right to me. Good hinge and pin and good age to them.

#3 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,670 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:34 AM

Those look to be nice, early wings. I'll defer to the wing experts, but I'm guessing 1920s-1930s. As far as your question about collector's interest, most definitely. I'm not hip on the current value though, but we have a lot of people here who know wings and can chime in.

Dave

#4 Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,848
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

I have a similar pair and value them at $100-125 retail.

#5 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
    • Member ID: 25,673
  • 588 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

Those are really nice. As Dave said these wings may be 20s-30s. Look earlier in your family tree for family members who possibly could have been naval aviators before ww2.

#6 Bearmon

Bearmon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 582
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

There is lots of collector interest in those style wings and I would put them more at 150 to 175  dollars

They re nice looking wings.

#7 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,242 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

Nice early wings.

Look like a Meyer hallmark?

#8 Bodes

Bodes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,180
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

Definitely an NS Meyer hallmark....Nice wings, Bodes

#9 quack1

quack1
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 210,161
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Thanks to all that posted. 

Positive they aren't from anyone in the family. 

It's anyone's guess as to how my dad ended up with them. The best I can come up with is that the original owner lost them and dad found them.  I remember dad saying that shortly after the surrender, his ship returned to the US and was filled with returning servicemen from other ships and branches of the military that had enough points to be discharged.  He could have found them on the ship or at the naval base where he was discharged.  Why dad kept them all this time will stay a mystery.  The only other things he kept were his service bars, dog tags, two books of matches that had "USS Chicago, navigation division, September 1945 Tokio Bay" printed on the cover, and a few pictures taken on the ship. 

#10 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Maybe they were your moms? Could have been a sweetheart gift from someone.

#11 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

Or patriotic jewelry. Something like that

#12 tomcatter

tomcatter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,661
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

As far as I can see from these photos, these Naval Aviator wings are a genuine vintage item from Meyer.
It's a good set from pre-WWII era (1920's to 1930's), and it's surely a desirable item for wings collectors.

About the value of these wings... I suggest to do a little search in eBay and others similar auction sites, both in present and expired listings: you will easily see by yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users