Pearl Harbor Marine, Silver Star recipient USMC WW2

nchistory

Pearl Harbor MSgt Valor 2nd Division.

Is there a list of 2 MarDiv Silver star recipients ?? There should be enough clues hopefully. Raptured duck in use 1944-46 got out as a MSgt with at least 12-15 years of service.most likely joined 1929- 1934, ADA with star most likely at Pearl Harbor. 3 campaign stars and ended as member of 2nd Division. Coat dated 1944. Thanks for your help.

post-153086-0-84942900-1546716652.jpg

RustyCanteen

The star on the American Defense just meant he was eligible for a Base or Fleet clasp. It did not mean the veteran was at Pearl Harbor.

The star on the American Defense just meant he was eligible for a Base or Fleet clasp. It did not mean the veteran was at Pearl Harbor.

I thought it had to be foreign service, and it was Pearl or Iceland? I stand corrected.

I thought it had to be foreign service, and it was Pearl or Iceland? I stand corrected.

The fleet clasp can be for service on any ship that was on any ocean prior to Pearl Harbor. Same with the base clasp. Could have been in the Carribean, Cuba, ETC.

Kurt

RustyCanteen

The star was worn on the ribbon in place of a clasp that would have been worn on the full medal. In this case the two clasps would have been 'Fleet' and 'Base'. Both had different qualifying criteria. The medal/ribbon itself was for active duty service at any time between 8 September 1939 and 7 December 1941. There was a letter 'A' device that could be worn, but since it is not pertinent to this I won't go into the details.

Anyway the Fleet clasp was "For service on the high seas while regularly attached to any vessel or aircraft squadron of the Atlantic Pacific, or Asiatic Fleet; to include vessels of the Naval Transportation Service and vessels operating directly under the Chief of Naval Operations." Notice Pacific Fleet was not mentioned.

The Base clasp "For service on shore at bases and naval stations outside the continental limits of the United States. (Duty in Alaska is considered outside the continental limits of the United States.)" This could include service in Iceland, Canal Zone, British West Indies, etc. There were a lot of qualifying bases and stations for this one.

RustyCanteen

The fleet clasp can be for service on any ship that was on any ocean prior to Pearl Harbor. Same with the base clasp. Could have been in the Carribean, Cuba, ETC.

Kurt

Right, although looking at the wording in the manual, it looks like they did not specifically include the Pacific Fleet, which is interesting.There is always the possibility that someone wore a star because they mistakenly believed they merited it.

Kurt

Thanks was just looking for points of elimination when searching.

Right, although looking at the wording in the manual, it looks like they did not specifically include the Pacific Fleet, which is interesting.

Pacific Fleet counted. "Atlantic, Pacific or Asiatic Fleets."

At best, missing a row of ribbons. At worst, someone just slapped those on. He served at least 12 years, I would expect to see a GCM, though it's possible he never earned one. No Victory ribbon, either. The WB SS that clashes with the lacquered 3-place also bothers me. WB was a more expensive private purchase ribbon bar, not issued with the medal. If the vet was going to buy one and wear one, I would expect him to upgrade the other awards.

Also if he came in around 29-30, that much time in before the war, I would expect him to have at least one pre-war decoration.

Silver Star recipients are listed out in Blakeney's. Also, if you have a name you can run it through https://valor.militarytimes.com/

How crooked and off-center those are, I think they were likely added. Even if they weren't, it's not unique enough a combo to identify the uniform based off that rack, unfortunately

RustyCanteen

Pacific Fleet counted. "Atlantic, Pacific or Asiatic Fleets."

Good catch, I thought that was a bit odd, but I was so tired my eyes somehow skipped the word 'Pacific' in the quote.

At best, missing a row of ribbons. At worst, someone just slapped those on. He served at least 12 years, I would expect to see a GCM, though it's possible he never earned one. No Victory ribbon, either. The WB SS that clashes with the lacquered 3-place also bothers me. WB was a more expensive private purchase ribbon bar, not issued with the medal. If the vet was going to buy one and wear one, I would expect him to upgrade the other awards.

Also if he came in around 29-30, that much time in before the war, I would expect him to have at least one pre-war decoration.

Silver Star recipients are listed out in Blakeney's. Also, if you have a name you can run it through https://valor.militarytimes.com/

How crooked and off-center those are, I think they were likely added. Even if they weren't, it's not unique enough a combo to identify the uniform based off that rack, unfortunately

Thanks much for your assessment