756th Tank Battalion WWII photos and more

Bob Hudson

I like the states side photo with the '17 Enfield's and the riot shotgun. I don't think I would want to be that close to a burning tank, cooking off HE might be bad! I can't tell if it is a German or US tank.

Thanks for posting them, really neat photos!

BKW

I know your question has been answered but to give some background info: it's a US tank (Sherman). The tracks (T66) are a giveaway.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/tracks/hvss_tracks.html

Rene

I know your question has been answered but to give some background info: it's a US tank (Sherman). The tracks (T66) are a giveaway.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/tracks/hvss_tracks.html

Rene

Thanks for the link: that site has what look great details on the Shermans. The link to its homepage is http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

These turned up today - he was very proud of his service and collected a lot of interesting veteran's pins and things like these tanks pins - he was said to have been one of the youngest tank commanders in WWII.

45.jpg

The back of the one tank looks like the snowflakes on ACID TEST insignia. Is that an issue pin?

45a.jpg

46.jpg

These turned up today - he was very proud of his service and collected a lot of interesting veteran's pins and things like these tanks pins - he was said to have been one of the youngest tank commanders in WWII.

attachicon.gif45.jpg

The back of the one tank looks like the snowflakes on ACID TEST insignia. Is that an issue pin?

attachicon.gif45a.jpg

Those are Branch of Service insignia for the Armored Force/Armor Branch as worn by officers from 1941 to 1951 when the current front view of a tank superimposed over crossed sabers insignia was adopted.

• 2 years later...
Henry Reynolds

I just noticed this post here. I understand it's pretty late to be commenting but I recently acquired the grouping of 2nd Lt. Winston L. Blythe. I saw the photos you posted and was wondering if you may have more photos or info about him. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Henry Reynolds said:

I just noticed this post here. I understand it's pretty late to be commenting but I recently acquired the grouping of 2nd Lt. Winston L. Blythe. I saw the photos you posted and was wondering if you may have more photos or info about him. Thanks. 

Never to late to comment: anything that can add to the archives is welcome. Did you see the photo of his signature? I no longer have this grouping so I don’t know what else is in the photos 

Henry Reynolds

I did. It's very interesting. Based on the photos I have of him from his grouping, I'm almost certain this is him in the photo. 

FB200980-3A30-41CD-A411-907F1606BC64.jpeg

171AD4F3-C09E-4D72-87E1-3C1212475CE0.jpeg

Henry Reynolds
9 hours ago, Bob Hudson said:

Never to late to comment: anything that can add to the archives is welcome. Did you see the photo of his signature? I no longer have this grouping so I don’t know what else is in the photos 

If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me who you passed the grouping to? I would like to unite the grouping with someone that had actually served with 2nd Lt. Winston Blythe.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:27 PM, Henry Reynolds said:

could you tell me who you passed the grouping to?

I don't recall who bought but it almost certainly was someone on the forum.

Henry Reynolds
2 hours ago, Bob Hudson said:

I don't recall who bought but it almost certainly was someone on the forum.

Thank you though. I will look around and request if anyone may have it. Thanks again. 
-Henry G. Reynolds