756th Tank Battalion WWII photos and more

Bob Hudson

This includes a photo album of the 756th in northern Europe and some post-war unit histories including one written by this veteran.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Bob, nice grouping. Is this something you put together or did a 756th veteran assemble these items?

It's from the estate of the veteran named on the certificate and the black book (his account of the war).

The family kept his medals (and any wartime patches), but these first-person accounts and photos are great artifacts.

I like the states side photo with the '17 Enfield's and the riot shotgun. I don't think I would want to be that close to a burning tank, cooking off HE might be bad! I can't tell if it is a German or US tank.

Thanks for posting them, really neat photos!

BKW

Getting

the '17 Enfield's and the riot shotgun.

They appear to be wearing blue denim fatigues. There is some wonderful detail in that photo.

The day the 756th Tank Battalion got rid of its tanks:

28.jpg

"TRADING OUR TANKS - THE OUTFIT LOSES ITS ARMOUR

LINZ AUSTRIA"

28a.jpg

The ribbon and small medallion were found separated and loose in the box with all this: it's nice one piece didn't get lost.

33.jpg

33a.jpg

33b.jpg

This is interesting book: it's a fundraising book for a planned documentary. It's not something you encounter often, but ironically I designed, wrote and published just such a book for a non-profit about 25 years ago. I printed them on order and bound them by hand, but this one for the 756th film is a very high quality digital book with some interesting insights into both the unit and the production process.

Producer Ron Lowther has a website about the documentary and how you can help: http://www.flyinglobsterproductions.com/testimonials-1

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

41a.jpg

What is the little medal?

BKW

I was hoping someone woiuld tell me :) It is, I've since learned, the Cross for the Rhine and Danube Campaign (Croix de la Campagne Rhin et Danube), 1944-1945

According to http://www.medal-medaille.com

"The medal was created for veterans of the Free French 1st Army that landed in the south of France and fought its way up the valley of the Rhône and across Germany"

I think the 756th took that same route, coming from the Med to attack Germany - perhaps someone issued a commorative version to the US vets of that long trek.

Sgt Fink was 17 years-old when he reported to the 756th as a replacement.

Here some excerpts from his war memoirs:

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG