WW2 USAAF "Crusher Cap"?

EvergreenState

EvergreenState

Though not a crusher, cap, I did decide to cough up $67 (approx, not including shipping) for this tropical (pacific war against Japanese?) one on eBay, Bombardier brand. Have any of you heard of this brand before, I know nothing of it, but I can infer from the name that this brand was popular among Bombardiers on US bombers? It's not the best condition, and not a crusher, but it's a "been there done that" looking cap, and it would be cool if it was possibly used by a Bombardier or other USAAF member.

Here's the images...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Nice cap! It was definitely produced with the AAF in mind and could have been worn by a pilot, navigator, or bombardier. Khaki caps were mostly seen in the PTO and Mediterranean theaters but were seen occasionally in Europe.

Heres an older topic.Some great info and discussion.Also info on caps being "packable"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/212367-i-think-i-found-a-real-ww2-aaf-crusher-am-i-right/

I posted a cap from a Colonels uniform group I had.It was a summer/tropical cap and still had the wire stiffener band in it.He wore the cap with the metal stiffener band in place.The cap was a "LEE Flighter". The photos are post #45 and #46.

Here is my spin on it.

To me its pretty simple.Invention spawns imitation.Soldiers being Soldiers(or Airmen) began removing the stiffeners in the service caps to allow for head sets.This looked cool(and functional),others do the same thing.I want that "look".

The war movies in the 40s were showing pilots wearing these crushed or raked out.So imitation is the best form of flattery.Everyone likes that cool elite swashbuckling laid back pilot,50 mission hard core look.Similar modification also took place in the USMC enlisted service cap.You see that typical saddle look where the front and the back swoop up.This was a individual modification.Many of the vets I talk to wanted to look like the old Corps/China Marine etc.They would eiither take and shape the wires in the cap to swoop up,try a larger stiffener or in many cases take a standard wool cover that was a size smaller,stretch it over the frame and replaced the wire stiffener from the larger cover.This will give the cap the "saddle"look and they were a little saltier looking.Hence my earlier statement...Its cool.

I have sevice caps that have stiffeners removed and actual floppy elastic crushers both enlisted and officer.A couple of my em crushers came with infantry ike groupings.To me it boils down to you bought what you could afford or made one out of what you had.Seeing the servicemen crush the caps down didnt take long to see that a company could sell these.Invention spawns imitation.I agree they were very popular with both bomber and fighter pilots.The only thing is the movies show alot of pilots wearing them as it looks cool,thats what pilots do.In reality If you flew at any altitude at all(where its cold and oxygen is needed) the crusher isnt what was worn.In my opinion Hollywood has helped spark this myth too.

EvergreenState

Nice cap! It was definitely produced with the AAF in mind and could have been worn by a pilot, navigator, or bombardier. Khaki caps were mostly seen in the PTO and Mediterranean theaters but were seen occasionally in Europe.

Matt,

Thanks for the info. I really like the Pacific Theatre so it's cool to think that this cap could've possibly been there, I think personally it's a nice starter cap for the collection.

Heres an older topic.Some great info and discussion.Also info on caps being "packable"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/212367-i-think-i-found-a-real-ww2-aaf-crusher-am-i-right/

I posted a cap from a Colonels uniform group I had.It was a summer/tropical cap and still had the wire stiffener band in it.He wore the cap with the metal stiffener band in place.The cap was a "LEE Flighter". The photos are post #45 and #46.

Here is my spin on it.

To me its pretty simple.Invention spawns imitation.Soldiers being Soldiers(or Airmen) began removing the stiffeners in the service caps to allow for head sets.This looked cool(and functional),others do the same thing.I want that "look".

The war movies in the 40s were showing pilots wearing these crushed or raked out.So imitation is the best form of flattery.Everyone likes that cool elite swashbuckling laid back pilot,50 mission hard core look.Similar modification also took place in the USMC enlisted service cap.You see that typical saddle look where the front and the back swoop up.This was a individual modification.Many of the vets I talk to wanted to look like the old Corps/China Marine etc.They would eiither take and shape the wires in the cap to swoop up,try a larger stiffener or in many cases take a standard wool cover that was a size smaller,stretch it over the frame and replaced the wire stiffener from the larger cover.This will give the cap the "saddle"look and they were a little saltier looking.Hence my earlier statement...Its cool.

I have sevice caps that have stiffeners removed and actual floppy elastic crushers both enlisted and officer.A couple of my em crushers came with infantry ike groupings.To me it boils down to you bought what you could afford or made one out of what you had.Seeing the servicemen crush the caps down didnt take long to see that a company could sell these.Invention spawns imitation.I agree they were very popular with both bomber and fighter pilots.The only thing is the movies show alot of pilots wearing them as it looks cool,thats what pilots do.In reality If you flew at any altitude at all(where its cold and oxygen is needed) the crusher isnt what was worn.In my opinion Hollywood has helped spark this myth too.

Thank you for the information, I found this very helpful. I think lots of people call regular officers caps "crushers", in reality it could've potentially been used by Army Officers too. I'll try to look for a "real deal" attributed USAAF officer's cap, regardless if it's a "crusher" or not.

Great cap! Certainly could have been owned by an aviator of some sort for sure.

Thank you! I think it's a nice cap, too bad it's not named, but I think it's a great addition to my collection, and a good starter for my USAAF section of the collection.