Research On Officers

madmoose

Can any one tell me how to find information on retired officers? I have a lot of named officers uniforms but can find any information about service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Captainofthe7th

The Army Register is the best source for officers, though it only lists those on active duty and retired. Sometimes you score, sometimes they're a mystery. The register is available online and also on ancestry. There are many ways to search through it including using laundry marks.

PM me if you need help.

Thanks,

Rob

Can any one tell me how to find information on retired officers? I have a lot of named officers uniforms but can find any information about service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which services and which time frames?

Generally the best luck online is finding Marine officers using the USMC muster rolls on ancestry.com.

fold3.com has some detailed Navy WWII War Diaries, especially useful when looking for WWII Navy pilots. They also have several other databases.

As mentioned the officers registers can be helpful, but more often than not, if you find someone, there's very little info beyond the dates the joined, and when they made rank.

newspapers.com often turns up info from hometown newspapers - amost WWII officers did not make it in the officers registers, but hometown papers often reported on local in yhe service (wedding notices in the paper are a good source of info on where an officer was sefving.

All of these sources are by subscription. Finding anything useful in a free Google search is hard to do - more often than not, if a Google search turns up something, it's for one of the subscription sites and you have to pay to access it beyond the Google link.

Captainofthe7th

Thanks for posting Bob as I was on a one track thought with the Army. As mentioned the USMC muster rolls are best for Marines and the Navy/Marine registers for commissioned personnel are similar to the Army and as Bob stated offer very little information, but is always a good starting point if you are narrowing a search or need a service number to send in a full request.

Rob

There's a lot of help that can be given if a photo of the uniform and the tailor's label are posted up in the corresponding forum. There's a lot of empirical inputs that come to play in research...the fabric, the labels, the uniform itself...all of these things can be clues as to who the person was and the best way to research them.

Good luck!

Dave

Which services and which time frames?

Generally the best luck online is finding Marine officers using the USMC muster rolls on ancestry.com.

fold3.com has some detailed Navy WWII War Diaries, especially useful when looking for WWII Navy pilots. They also have several other databases.

As mentioned the officers registers can be helpful, but more often than not, if you find someone, there's very little info beyond the dates the joined, and when they made rank.

newspapers.com often turns up info from hometown newspapers - amost WWII officers did not make it in the officers registers, but hometown papers often reported on local in yhe service (wedding notices in the paper are a good source of info on where an officer was sefving.

All of these sources are by subscription. Finding anything useful in a free Google search is hard to do - more often than not, if a Google search turns up something, it's for one of the subscription sites and you have to pay to access it beyond the Google link.

WW II and Korean War some Army and Navy and one Marine, Thanks