Help ID this USMC knife from movie, please!

stratasfan

Was watching this WWII movie and a Marine is using this knife. Any idea as to what it is? I assume something rather generic for Marines, but I don't know enough about sheathed knives to tell yet! Thanks for any thoughts! I took some screen grabs, but they aren't super, so I hope you can tell from these!

Also, if you know what it is . . . are these at all affordable? I'd love to get a similar one, just because I love the movie!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

post-151812-0-61309400-1546459680_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-22203800-1546459690.jpg

Oh, just looking up USMC Kabar on Google . . . wood handle or black handle? What's the difference? Style number change?

Hi E - As Doyler mentions, this is colloquially referred to as a “Kabar”, though they were made in WWII by multiple companies beyond the Ka-Bar trademark under Union Cutlery (“Kodiak Bear” for another story).

By military designation, they are also the “Mark 2” and “1219C2”, adopted by the USMC late in 1942.

There are a bunch of great threads on our forum about these, which should make for good reading. I would advise caution in your search, as these are still being produced today, and were in formal military service for multiple conflicts. Even within the WWII bloodline, values vary greatly.

Thanks! I was just looking on completed sales on eBay, and it seems $20-300. Big range! Well, I'm not too picky, as I don't want a museum one, just one to use that is like it in the movie. :) More of a movie thing than a military thing. I just love knives! Our bedroom is decked out in Lord of the Rings/Hobbit swords, knives, and black arrows!

Thanks, doyler and blacksmith! I appreciate the help! Now I know some hit words to look up!

Range is much rider than that. Knives going for over $1000 are not unusual or outrageous.

Handles were and are stacked leather for Government contracted knives.

Knives made today by KABAR are good representations of the construction, style, and look of the original knives. If you're not too concerned about details the current offerings from them maybe the way you want to go. With a little study you get more familiar with what your seeing on ebay and the such, and can pick up a good value knife for even less than the retail of a new commercial offering.

If you do decide on going with a current version, shop the knife distributors for sales and the best discount.

That is a great movie for sure. On one of the close ups the knife appears to be a Camillus as opposed to Ka-Bar manufacture.

Its a WWII manufactured knife.

Never mind the knife. You've got me trying to figure out what movie you watched. "Heaven Knows, Mr Allison" ?

Thanks, Art

That's the one. :)

Never mind the knife. You've got me trying to figure out what movie you watched. "Heaven Knows, Mr Allison" ?

Thanks, Art

Yes . . . it is! Super movie! The first grab is from when he is going through the mission Church ruins after the Japanese burn it down. The second from right after he killed the Japanese soldier when he is stealing blankets for Deborah Kerr. Just in case you were trying to figure out where I got the stills from! ;)