Last Patch Acquisitions of 2018

MasonK

Hi All,

Was visiting with family over Christmas, and my cousin found some military pins and patches with her father's items. He sadly passed away a few years ago.

No one from her father's side of the family served that she is aware of, so the assumption is someone was likely collecting these during and post-war (some modern pieces mixed in). Possibly her grandfather, although we'll never know.

In any case, it's an eclectic mix of insignia. I posted close-ups of some highlights below the group shots.

Thanks again to several forum members for feedback on the Merrill's Marauders patch!

Army insignia

post-29885-0-96561100-1546450028_thumb.jpg

CPO Athletic Instructor - Bevo (woven) Made

Anyone know the background on these? Read on here that they were Aussie made. Another collector mentioned they may have been made post-war for collectors. Regardless, a nicely constructed patch.

post-29885-0-07455700-1546450734_thumb.jpg

The last rate is Australian Made to the best of my knowledge, your airborne tabs since they are smaller might be for the 17th airborne

Thanks, Wake!

Funny you say that. I actually married both of the AB tabs with 17th patches. I had a spare, larger tab to go with the 101st.

Here's the feedback I received on the CPO Rate.

post-29885-0-29844700-1546451845.jpg

Links to a few discussions from the forum on this style of patch. No clear consensus on where these were made, although Aussie does appear to be mentioned frequently in the second thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/139891-bevo-style-woven-wwii-parachute-rigger-rate/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/189991-recently-acquired-wwii-navy-rates-some-woven-ones-and-uncut-ones/

I couldnt see why a collector would have these made when there were piles of these after the war. And why they would date them if they are copies

I couldnt see why a collector would have these made when there were piles of these after the war. And why they would date them if they are copies

I don't disagree with you, just relaying what was told to me, and what I read on the forum. Although it was said these were made for collectors, not by collectors. Regardless, appears no one can confirm their origin one way or another.

I agree that there is no point in reproducing most Navy rates as there is no money in it.

Beautiful Marauders patch and a construction not seen often.

Those rates are indeed Aussie made. They were made by a company called J & J Cash; same company that made the woven 1 mardiv patches

Thanks, gentlemen!

Trying to find another non-Navy Rate example of a JJ Cash patch? I've searched the forum, and these two USMC examples are the only ones I could find that are actually identified as Cash patches (other threads where there is mentioned it is in the style of). These, however, don't seem to match the construction of their Navy counterparts.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/297732-marine-raider-patches-variations-reference/&do=findComment&comment=2392628

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/137913-jj-cash-1st-div-patch/

Some of these rates are also marked J.J. Cash Pty. Ltd opposite the date. The ones I have seen with that mark were a CPO Gunners Mate and a CPO Aviation MM. the construction is the same as the one you posted.