US Cavalry boots or civilian equestrian boots?

Tonomachi

I picked these up last weekend at the flea market for 5 dollars on the chance that they are private purchase US cavalry boots. I know nothing about cavalry boots but these look vintage and one is missing the wooden wedge piece.

post-1389-0-91295500-1546361047_thumb.jpg

They look almost exactly like a pair of Dehner's riding boots I have from a WWII officer group. They were presented to him his senior year of ROTC (1940), however I have no evidence he wore them after his commissioning. I hope this helps.

They look almost exactly like a pair of Dehner's riding boots I have from a WWII officer group. They were presented to him his senior year of ROTC (1940), however I have no evidence he wore them after his commissioning. I hope this helps.

Many thanks for your input. I've been surfing the web and looked at a number of riding boots that look very similar to these pair. I found out that the little bumps on the back of the heels are called "spur shelves" so for certain these are vintage riding type boots but whether they worn by a cavalryman is unknown.

Many thanks for your input. I've been surfing the web and looked at a number of riding boots that look very similar to these pair. I found out that the little bumps on the back of the heels are called "spur shelves" so for certain these are vintage riding type boots but whether they worn by a cavalryman is unknown.

No problem. I was browsing ourboysof98 site and I came across a set of WWI era boots that are also similar. It seems as though it was a popular style and the best way to find out if they might've been worn would be to look up the maker if it can be done on your pair.

Here's the link, about halfway down just below the desert boots: http://www.ourboysof98.com/Uniforms.html

Edit: You're right, I had forgotten that they were called spur shelves.

No problem. I was browsing ourboysof98 site and I came across a set of WWI era boots that are also similar. It seems as though it was a popular style and the best way to find out if they might've been worn would be to look up the maker if it can be done on your pair.

Here's the link, about halfway down just below the desert boots: http://www.ourboysof98.com/Uniforms.html

Edit: You're right, I had forgotten that they were called spur shelves.

Many thanks for the link and they do look very similar. Unfortunately any manufacture label has long since disappeared over time. The best I can make out is that the wooden inserts were made in New York.