Subpoena for WW2 Neptunus Rex Ceremony

Vincennes

This document comes from the estate collection of William D Cota of California which I own. He died in 1962. I have posted several items from the collection before, but thought this was interesting enough to post.

Cota was in the Merchant Marines in WW2. He served on at least 3 ships. His last 2 tours were as Junior Third Officer on the USAT Maui transporting troops in the South Pacific to Australia, Philippines, and other places. When he first crossed the equator he was subject to the Neptunus Rex ceremony. I have his certificate from the ceremony and several photos of the ceremony, but I will not post them (unless someone asks) because similar certificates and photos have been posted many times in the forum. But Here is his Subpoena for the ceremony. I have not seen one of these before.

Paul

post-2319-0-89435400-1546351661_thumb.jpg

Nice find. Do you know what ship he was on when this was made?

P-40Warhawk,

He was on the USAT Maui when he crossed the equator. Also a correction: Cota died in 1982 not 1962 as I stated earlier.

Paul

That is great, the New Year must have affected my eyes because I missed seeing the ship name in the first post too. :lol:

Well if you need any excuse to show the photos from the ceremony, I would not mind seeing them.

Garandomatic

I say go ahead and post pics... They might be similar, but there are always variances! Among my favorite paper items are set of pictures from a ceremony that showcase some wicked T-shirts and helmets and a similar summons... My guy was charged with being the hardest man on the ship to wake up and for causing a "minor disturbance in O'Reilly's Gin Mill" in NYC!

Garandomatic

Awesome. Never saw the dunk tank or hoods before. Also note the proliferation of what appears to be daisy mae hats... thanks!