US Unit-Awarded Croix de Guerre Fourragère - How to find one

stratasfan

I am currently seeking some Croix de Guerre Fourragère cord for a project (making an Audie Murphy doll). He wore one, as his Division was awarded it. Well, I am needing some cord to make a small version for my doll. Was wondering where you go to find one of these? Actually, I could even use cord from a damaged one. Pretty open, as I am not needing the complete thing. However, I've never even read about these, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions! Thanks!

Also, a question . . . why does his have extra single-strand loops? I had thought I had remembered that they were just the braid?

Elizabeth

post-151812-0-07174000-1546262295_thumb.jpg

I’ve seen the Croix de Guerre Fourragère with both extra cords like Murphy’s ( I have an example of both the style Murphy’s wearing in the photo and a basic braided one as well). As as for why that would be, my best guess would be that the fourragère style changed after the war ended i.e. occupation period. That’s my best guess though, I’m sure it’s not entirely correct, but someone here probably knows the reason 100%

Elizabeth,

Depending how small the doll is, you might do well to just get some embroidery floss and braid two lengths of green floss with a length of red. It might give you the effect that you are looking for. Otherwise, you might look for some green lace or cord and paint some spots on it to simulate the look of the fourragere.

Let us see how it turns out.

Allan

Agree with Allan, threads/cord and the like, now what to use for the Brass Finial! (That's the metal tip) Hmmm we'll think of some thing. Now if you were a military scale modeler, you might find something in the spare parts box, lots of weird off the wall stuff that one discovers in there that fits the bill to use with a whole array of projects.

Floss would be too small. I'm using an 18" doll that is a chunky body (it is an American Girl body, actually, so it is a large 18" doll). Maybe I should go with thinner green paracord and paint the spots. I didn't realize they were spots, thought they were stripes. I could do spots. I think I have the perfect metal tip, it I can get the cord the right size. Some jewelry making piece I have, but I can't remember the name! :)

I am working at collecting mini medals, as they fit him perfectly. All I need a mini DSC and Croix de Guerre now. Going to see about getting a foreign award for the CMoH. Something that would look generically like it (star hanging from suspender) that I could put on a blue ribbon. So, if anyone has thoughts for that, I'm open! Preferably an easier to find medal, but I'm open to a search, too! As I don't need a good ribbon, it only matters about the planchet looking somewhat like it. Wish I could get the Texas Honor medal he had!

Also trying to find the right size sweetheart pins for the insignia. The little Infantry crossed rifles and US. I got a mini CIB already and the small Captain and Major rank pins. I am going to embroider the patches myself to fit. Got a pattern for the uniform. So, I am getting down there in my need list! I figure the mini DSC should be the easier thing to dig up! :)

I welcome any thoughts about any of this!

Happy New Year!

Elizabeth

I'm not afraid to customize metal pieces! Sis needle-felts wool dolls, and I do leather, metal, fur, and embroidery detail on them. This is Dwalin (from "The Hobbit"), and I got to make all his metal detail and leather harness (and even ink tattoos on his head!). For the knuckle dusters, I took a bunch of jewelry making pieces and cut them apart to piece together my own hand armour. The links are to larger views.

post-151812-0-32293100-1546346643.jpg

https://littlekumquat.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/1/4/24149986/dwalin-2_orig.jpg

https://littlekumquat.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/1/4/24149986/dwalin-11_orig.jpg

https://littlekumquat.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/1/4/24149986/dwalin-4_orig.jpg

Group shot of a bunch of the Hobbit party:

https://littlekumquat.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/1/4/24149986/march-5-2018-10_orig.jpg

Thought I'd just show these off! There is some metal bit I had for an option for one of these and never used, but it would be perfect if I can find it and remember the name! :)