Rim #'d Army contract Purple Heart to a Marine WIA at Guadalcanal verified in his file

devildog34

Here's an odd collecting anomaly for everyone. Below are the medals of Cpl. Ralph Allen McFaul. He was wounded on Guadalcanal on October 7, 1942 while serving as a scout sniper with Company K 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines. He was evacuated and eventually ended up in a Naval hospital in Oakland, California where he was awarded his purple heart in a ceremony on September 28, 1943. The purple heart is a slot broached rim numbered medal-clearly not what would be expected of a Purple Heart awarded to a Marine. HOWEVER in McFaul's file is the verified rim number for the Purple Heart which was awarded to him September 28, 1943 (See rim number below and the verification in his file) by the command of the XIV Corps of the U.S. Army which had taken over command of the fighting on Guadalcanal by January. Elements of the 2nd Marine Division (the 8th and 6th) were engaged on Guadalcanal at this time, it makes sense that McFaul's Purple Heart would have been awarded by the XIV Corps. Below is McFaul's story:

Ralph Allen McFaul enlisted in the Marine Corps in February 1937. He was eventually sent to the Philippines where he spent a few months at Marine Barracks Cavite before he was transferred to Marine Barracks Olongapo. By November 1938, McFaul was sent to Shanghai, China where he was assigned to Company F 2nd Bn 4th Marines. By March 1940, McFaul returned to the states. He served the remainder of his enlistment with Company H 2nd Battalion 8th Marines and even spent time with H&S Company 6th Marines as well as Marine Barracks Bremerton, Washington. In February 1941, McFaul reenlisted and was assigned to Marine Barracks Mare Island, California. Several months later, he was assigned to the Marine Corps' depot of supplies in San Francisco. By February of 1942, McFaul was assigned to Company K, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines. Shortly after joining the company, McFaul attended a 4 week infantry scout sniper course and his military specialty was officially listed as a scout sniper. In July the 2nd Marines embarked aboard the USS President Adams in San Diego and set sale for the Solomon Islands. On August 8, 1942 the 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 2nd Marines landed on the island of Gavutu as part of Operation Watchtower which was the amphibious operation on Guadalcanal and a few surrounding islands. The landing was heavily contested. The 3rd Battalion began landing on Gavutu at 10:00 on 8 August and assisted in destroying the remaining Japanese defenses on that islet, which was completed by 12:00. Then the 3rd Battalion prepared to assault Tanambogo. The Marines on Gavutu provided covering fire for the attack. In preparation for the assault, U.S. carrier-based dive bombers and naval gunfire bombardment were requested. After the carrier aircraft twice accidentally dropped bombs on the U.S. Marines on Gavutu, killing four of them, further carrier aircraft support was canceled. Throughout the day, the Marines methodically dynamited the caves, destroying most of them by 21:00. The few surviving Japanese conducted isolated attacks throughout the night, with hand to hand engagements occurring. By noon on 9 August, all Japanese resistance on Tanambogo ended. In the battle for Gavutu and Tanambogo, 476 Japanese defenders and 70 U.S. Marines or naval personnel died. After securing Gavutu, Tanambogo the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines participated in the mopping up and occupation of Tulagi. At the strong urging of General Vandegrift commanding the 1st Marine Division, the 7th and 2nd Marines were sent to Guadalcanal where other elements of the 1st Marine Division were engaged. The 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines arrived on the canal by September 14, 1942. By October Japanese strong holds along the Matanikau River which had been a chronic problem forced General Vandegrift to once again try and drive the enemy so he could establish forward positions in that area during the balance of the campaign. The enemy force which had held the Marines immobile during the operation and which had nearly succeeded in cutting off and destroying one battalion, was a strong one, and during the operation it had given the impression of having been well led and intelligently directed. Its size was estimated to be about 1800 men, and there was no indication that contact had been made with the entire enemy strength west of the Matanikau. The destruction of the Japanese west of the Matanikau river continued to be the ultimate objective. The plan for the attack followed roughly that for the unsuccessful affair which had preceded it. There was to be a force (5th Marines) along the east bank of the river for a distance of 1800 yards upstream from the mouth, while the main assault force's 3d Battalion, 2d Marines plus Scout-Snipers (called the "Whaling Group" form the name of the officer commanding the Scout-Snipers, Colonel William J. Whaling) and the 7th Marines, operating to the left of the 5th Marines would cross the river at a point that was assured to be contested. Among the scout snipers with Whaling was Corporal McFaul. On the night of October 6th, Japanese forces had infiltrated across the Matanikau and secured the spot designated as the Marines' jump-off point for the October 7th attack. Whaling's vanguard of snipers and other elements of 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines ran into Japanese outposts which was estimated to be a battalion-sized force. A vicious firefight quickly ensued but the Japanese greatly limited their contact knowing they were outnumbered and eventually withdrew. In the course of this fighting, Corporal McFaul suffered a severe fragmentation wound to the left arm. He suffered severe damage to the ulnar nerve as well as extensive tendon damage to the left forearm. He would never return to duty. He was eventually evacuated and would never return to full duty. After several medical surveys he was subsequently medically discharged in April of 1944. He resided in his home state of California and passed away in 1998 at the age of 81. Semper Fidelis your sacrifice will never be forgotten.

post-2182-0-51924700-1546239449_thumb.jpg

I should add that I obtained this group from a good friend and fellow forum member who had the foresight on this. It was his researchers instinct not mine that suggested this rim numbered PH would very likely trace out to him as he has seen this before.

That's a great group! It makes sense he received an Army contract medal since Type I USN contract medals were not available until July 1943. The first lots delivered were used for posthumous awards earned prior to that date. The Navy had to fill the backlog.

On another note I believe I own the POW mail belonging to his brothers.

Kurt

That's a great group! It makes sense he received an Army contract medal since Type I USN contract medals were not available until July 1943. The first lots delivered were used for posthumous awards earned prior to that date. The Navy had to fill the backlog.

On another note I believe I own the POW mail belonging to his brothers.

Kurt

Wow small world! There is a letter in his file from his sister inquiring about her brothers. At one point she believed Ralph was still in the Philippines as well.

The one postcard is addressed to his Mom Mrs. J . A. McFaul. Ralph's Dad was Joseph A, McFaul.

Their names were Frank and Fred . Both served in the same unit, the 59th CA. Both went to the same camps and were liberated together in Japan at Nagoya.

The postcard from Philippine Camp 10B is one of only a hand full known to exist from that camp. Its extremely rare,

mcf.jpg

mcf2.jpg

Nice to see this set again. I owned it for a number of years back in the 1970s. I've often thought of it and wondered which broach it had. I didn't know about about the differences then. I see through the above research that McFaul died in 1998, showing that he and group separated decades before his death. I obtained the grouping from Bob Queen, Eric Queen's dad. Maybe Eric can find out where his dad obtained it. BTW, on the file photo, notice the gooney bird EGAs he's wearing?

Steve

Kevin,

Interesting to find an Army contract, numbered Purple Heart issued to a Marine. Even better to have it documented in his file! Very well researched as always!

Mike

Kevin - Tell us about the engraving on the PH. Bob

Hey Bob, it's hard to tell. Even though it's unofficial it could very well have been presented at the hospital to him engraved. It's a beautiful engraving for sure.