Sateen OG 107 Shirt

mikie

Hi,

I don't collect uniforms since I don't have storage space, much less display space. But after reading of some great finds at Goodwill type stores, I always check out the racks whenever I pass by. Never found anything till today when I grabbed this shirt for a princely $5.49. I'm sure there is nothing much special about it but the age, the nearly new condition, and the fact that it actually fits me. There are no other markings or indication that it ever had any insignia or patches on it. If anyone would like to share any info on this shirt, I'd love to hear it.

post-2687-0-42185300-1546137995.jpg

post-2687-0-68812600-1546138072.jpg

Mikie

As long as it's worth at least $5.49, I don't mind. While this one seems to have been contracted in 1967, I am curious about when this type of shirt was used and who wore them.

Mikie

As long as it's worth at least $5.49, I don't mind. While this one seems to have been contracted in 1967, I am curious about when this type of shirt was used and who wore them.

Mikie

Agree with Kevin its a pattern seen worn from Vietnam to the early 70s then replaced by the permenant press type which wasn't real popular with the troops.

Everything seems about value but if you like it enjoy it for what it it.Also it seems these are gaining popularity for some reason with the people who buy and wear vintage clothing

My hobby budget is so small that I figure it can't be too valuable if I can afford it. Value is really not that important to me, though like to come out ahead at least on paper when i can. It's the history of an item, and if it gives me that old itch. Thanks again for all the comments.

Mikie

Those shirts were worn until replaced by BDUs in the 1980s. At least mine were!

The permanent press versions became standard issue in the mid/late 70s, but these shirts did not immediately become obsolete.

Those shirts were worn until replaced by BDUs in the 1980s. At least mine were!

The permanent press versions became standard issue in the mid/late 70s, but these shirts did not immediately become obsolete.

True..there is a wear out period and often you see carry overs for all types of clothing and gear.I have two pairs of boots to a career officer.One set of jump boots and the other are two buckle boots.Both dyed black to be worn when the brown was obsolete.You see the hbt fatique shirts often worn into the 60s as well.Really common to see this in the Marine Corps where they use the older P41/P47 shirts with lower pockets.They removed the lower pockets to be worn tucked in like the late 50s and 60s sateen shirts.Had a few of the "Gomer Pyle" shirts in hbt as well.

The fatique shirts are often over looked and under appreciated and can be found reasonably priced to collect.Also intresting as there are ones modified with shoulder straps,pencil pockets on sleeves etc.

Hi Mikie, nice shirt and at least you haven't lost your shirt over it.......

Tip: if you only pick up the items that are your size, instead of collecting you are 'only' adding to your wardrobe ^_^

Rene

Ha! Glad to see you have the shirt puns all buttoned up, Rene.

I'm kind of glad this isn't worth a lot. I won't feel so guilty if I wear it once in a while as some have suggested. It's cool to use something that is 50+ years old for what it was made for. Especially if it doesn't go BOOM!!!! when I do.

Thanks to whoever fixed my topic title. I noticed too late that I had an extra n in sateen. I didn't come up with a lot of info when I first searched about the shirt here. Hope all the good info here will help someone else out in the future.

Mikie

Hi folks. Hope you al had a good New Year.

Well, here is what the well-dressed guy looks like puttering around the yard and garage.

post-2687-0-23235600-1546449524_thumb.jpg

Fashion icon, yep that's me!

Mikie

True..there is a wear out period and often you see carry overs for all types of clothing and gear.I have two pairs of boots to a career officer.One set of jump boots and the other are two buckle boots.Both dyed black to be worn when the brown was obsolete.You see the hbt fatique shirts often worn into the 60s as well.Really common to see this in the Marine Corps where they use the older P41/P47 shirts with lower pockets.They removed the lower pockets to be worn tucked in like the late 50s and 60s sateen shirts.Had a few of the "Gomer Pyle" shirts in hbt as well.

The fatique shirts are often over looked and under appreciated and can be found reasonably priced to collect.Also intresting as there are ones modified with shoulder straps,pencil pockets on sleeves etc.

I had a set of Sateens in 1982-84 strictly for guardmount and ceremonies as they starched beautifully. Same with a WW2 Helmet liner and pistol belt, Corcorans.

Never lost supernumerary