Don't Get fooled!

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Anyway, just stumbled across this M3 on ebay. Ebay # 113493500213. It's an M3, with plastic spacers,(like an Imperial), dual stamped, (US M3 on the back of the guard, and left side of blade). No other maker's mark, but kinda looks like a "Kiffee", from years gone by. Starting price is $79.99. Thought I'd post it for study, and discussion. If someone could place the ad on here I'd appreciate it. Do not know the seller. As usual, "learn about your hobby!". SKIP

BOB- Several things on this one. The sole marking of "US M3", on the guard, and the left side of the blade. Original WW2 US M3s had the makers name on the blade marked, "right side", ie "U.S. M3 IMPERIAL"or U.S. M3 Imperial 1943", or any of the other makers. Guard marked versions would have "US M3 Imperial" that would be on the front of the guard, either stacked, or sideways, depending on the maker. Also on this one, the top edge has a grind that ends in a straight cut, most originals have a slightly rounded cut, on early Uticas they too had an almost straight cut. But, this one is not a Utica. This just a quick look at the basic differences between an original and this repro. There are more specific differences w/ the original WW2 makers, but these are a quick overview on this one. If I missed something, I'm sure the others will catch it. SKIP

I don't remember WW2 M3's with less than a near true 90˚ run out. The length of the blade from the end of the run out to the front edge of the guard is noticeably longer than I remember seeing on any manufactures WW2 M3's. The fit of the blade to the guard, the manufactures took more pride in those genuine M3's.

This really looks like something put together from parts and was purposely changed from looking too much like an original by the builder.

What ever this knife goes for is money the buyer could have spent on Bill's book first.

You know, I used to think items like this on ebay were posted for the sole purpose of deceit. But lately I've come to believe the majority of stuff like this is posted by people who maybe picked it up at an auction, or flea market or wherever and believe it to be real. My own interest is limited to MK2s and it is the amazing number of repro Ka-Bars being offered as WW II vintage that make me think this way. If I'm wrong and all the sellers of bogus stuff actually know their items are not what they list them as then crooks actually outnumber honest sellers on ebay.

Either way, if you're going to buy on ebay these days you better know what you're doing and not depend too much on the sellers description.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in

Art

I've come to believe the majority of stuff like this is posted by people who maybe picked it up at an auction, or flea market or wherever and believe it to be real.

I agree with you there: there's more ignorance than larceny and there's always someone with more money than education to snap it up :)

I agree with everyone. Have seen a lot of sellers who probably do not know exactly what they're selling, see something similar on ebay, and go for what that item is asking. That's why I stress to the new collectors, "learn about your hobby", hate seeing folks get fooled whether on purpose or by accident. The seller in this case operates a military surplus store. SKIP

The listing in question has been taken down. I wonder is somebody decided it perform a test and bring this discussion to the seller's attention and see what happens?

If that's the case, which I have good reason to suspect it is, my original thesis is correct.

Elementary my dear Watson

Art