Interesting Third Infantry Division Combat Soldier

kfields

I bought this interesting photo several years ago. Unidentified as to location and name of soldier.

I thought I would share the photo in hopes of narrowing down when the photo was taken and mayber where based on his uniform, gear and background.

Thanks!

Kim

post-60-0-46856400-1545928685.jpg

post-60-0-44791200-1545928698.jpg

post-60-0-72017500-1545928725_thumb.jpg

Post WW2 and Im thinking late 50s early 60s.

The trousers look like the M51 worn for cold weather(large pockets.The bayonet appears to be the M5 type last issue for the Garand.

Post WW2 and Im thinking late 50s early 60s.

The trousers look like the M51 worn for cold weather(large pockets.The bayonet appears to be the M5 type last issue for the Garand.

Agreed. The rank appears to also be the Gold on AG44.

Okay. I know they used that backpack style radio into the 70's. Heavy as I recall and I tried to avoid being the guy who had to carry it in our platoon. I'll write down all the details posted here and keep it with the picture.

Kim

Okay. I know they used that backpack style radio into the 70's. Heavy as I recall and I tried to avoid being the guy who had to carry it in our platoon. I'll write down all the details posted here and keep it with the picture.

Kim

That would be the PRC 77, I personally carried that one, as seen here.

post-34986-0-06371100-1377064387.jpg

The PRC 77 was derived from the similarly looking PRC 25, it was the PRC 25 that replaced the PRC 10 in the 60s.

I just got the 1957 CB Colby book on the Marine Corps, LEATHERNECK. The photos, except for one I think, (Marine Detachment on USS Midway during the Korean War period, believe we see a Vought Corsair in the hanger deck) are all current, IE ones taken in 1956-57, found it interesting that none of the Marines are armed with the new M5 bayonet, just the old familiar one, but they always got stuff later, or never at all in more rarer cases.