Best Wings of 2018

cwnorma

Thanks everyone. Some really, great wings worked their way into your collections in 2018!

Here's hoping 2019 brings each of you many, many new wings too!

Chris

It was slow this year for wings, but this was one of my favorites.

Patrick,

I missed this one on my first go through. Amazing piece! It looks all hand made.

Chris

Not much going on in the wing area this year but did manage to pick up a couple. Top metal is a Johnson, middle is a Sweeney, and the bottom is unknown as to mfg. The bullion wing was the property of Lt. Raymon Allison who flew from 1918 into the mid 1920s.

Terry,

Four outstanding wings! Would love to see more of all of them.

Chris

Glidertrooper

Bit of a late entry and my only wing purchase of 2018, which was a bit of a dry year for my wing collecting.

Its a basic Sterling only marked wing with Arrowhead device attached. I know its impossible to truly know when these modifications were done, but whoever worked this wing over cleaned the all black finished from the back of the wing (supposedly added to keep tarnish from a silver wing getting on the uniform), made a neat and tidy job of attaching the device and took an emery-board to the top of the parachute, as whilst some of the detail remains, the semi-circle usually at the top to represent the apex hole in the top of canopy has been smoothed away, presumably to catch the light when polished and make the wings really pop-out when worn. Overall it appears a lot of effort and care went into these wings, which I doubt someone just looking to 'enhance' a standard set of jump wings for financial gain would go to.

The seller attributed them to a 101st Airborne Normandy veteran, whose Ike they had and the wings were a spare set from the group. Again, hard to know the accuracy of such a statement (seller hasn't backed it up with any info, despite requests), but the wings were pictured with the Ike as shown below. The POW medal ribbon and single Campaign Star and Arrowhead on the EAME suggests perhaps a group to a paratrooper who jumped on D-Day, but like so many was unfortunately captured very early on it that campaign, hence only the Arrowhead device on the wings. Again that is something I like about these wings, as if you were going to enhance a pair of wings just to make money most would add at least one star with and Arrowhead in my reckoning.

Anyway I was very happy to secure this one as my first example of a set of Jump Wings with device attached.

Cheers......John

post-166956-0-49020100-1547995025_thumb.jpg

post-166956-0-37189200-1547995039_thumb.jpg

post-166956-0-83411000-1547996168_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...