Best Wings of 2018

cwnorma

As 2018 rolls to a close and we all turn our thoughts to 2019, its always nice to review the "greatest hits" of the previous year.

In that spirit, I thought it would be great if everyone would post their favorite wing-badge related finds for 2018.

Doesn't have to be the most expensive or rarest, just your favorite!

I'll start.

My favorite wing-badge acquisition for 2018 is the uniform of Captain A. Little, Engineering Officer of the 2nd Provisional Wing, Park Place, TX. Little's uniform had an interesting and somewhat unusual American-made wing. Because Little spent the entire war in Houston, and the uniform was tailored there, could it be possible to associate this particular pattern wing badge with that area?

I bought Little's uniform back in February at a militaria show in Cleburne TX. Later in the year, in November, an eBay auction from another state offered Capt Little's portrait photo--I was able to get it! It's always rare when you are able to put groupings back together. More-so when it's from two different sources.

So here is my "favorite" wing-badge related find for 2018:

post-594-0-10225400-1545846046_thumb.jpg

Wing badge.

post-594-0-31181600-1545846067.jpg

Portrait photo, lower right.

So, that is mine. I would love to see yours!

Chris

Here are my favorites for the year.

This wing belonged to an AAF B-17 pilot who was KIA in January 1942 at Java. I have the rest of his group, but have not posted it on the forum yet,

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

Kurt,

That is one of my favorite patterns! It just calls out; "pre-war!" Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing more of this group when you do get time to post

Chris

Kurt,

That is one of my favorite patterns! It just calls out; "pre-war!" Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing more of this group when you do get time to post

Chris

I like this pattern too. It screams "Art Deco".

Kurt

Well it seems the forum is not in a sharing mood. For those of you who did; thanks and great stuff! Maybe everyone is just happy to see 2018 in the rear-view mirror.

At any rate, Happy New Year to all of you!

I hope each and every one of you has many great wing "finds" in 2019!

Chris

Chris, thank you for all you do to contribute to the USMF Wings page. Your contributions are consistently either thought provoking or adding knowledge.

Living in the San Antonio area, I had been seeking any Dan S. Dunham wing for the last several years to add to my collection. As you are aware, Dan Dunham wings are of the highest quality and originals are "few and far between." Earlier in December, I was able to add this Dan Dunham Observer to my collection and am very pleased to own it.

Again, thanks for all you do Chris!

post-12287-0-08141300-1546295668.jpg

post-12287-0-08017500-1546295759.jpg

Some really outstanding stuff!

Happy new year, and many, many wing finds for each of you in 2019!

Chris

My contribution for best wing of 2018 is a Juarez patterned glider pilot wing hallmarked STERLING that was engraved on the back with, "Marie -V-" and "Clif-1943". There is a great website for the National World War II Glider Pilots Association which lists every glider pilot that served during WW2:

http://www.ww2gp.org/

It took awhile but I copied down the information on a dozen or so WW2 glider pilots with the first name of Cliff or Clifford. The seller told me that this glider pilot wing came out of an estate sale just outside of Orlando, Florida, the contents of which came out of an unknown nursing home. It took awhile but through a process of elimination I went through my list until bingo I found the only Clifford who was living just outside of Orlando, Florida. So I was able to identify this glider pilot wing to a Clifford O'Brian Halley 15 Aug 1920 - 04 Jun 1998. I was never able to identify Marie V who was probably a sweetheart as his wife's first name was Catherine. So this is my favorite wing of 2018 because I was able to identify the former owner.

post-1389-0-66872000-1546450323_thumb.jpg

Very interesting wing! Did the whole Squadron modify their badges like that?

I doubt it, I think this was made in theater- its very well made

post-163414-0-85866300-1546539221_thumb.jpg

post-163414-0-66580500-1546539248_thumb.jpg

post-163414-0-92481700-1546539285_thumb.jpg

Not much going on in the wing area this year but did manage to pick up a couple. Top metal is a Johnson, middle is a Sweeney, and the bottom is unknown as to mfg. The bullion wing was the property of Lt. Raymon Allison who flew from 1918 into the mid 1920s.

post-6022-0-57977900-1546614541.jpg

post-6022-0-63637600-1546614557_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this thread is exclusive to aviation wings, but here are some I got at a show in 2018. Skull Airborne wings like these are commonly attributed to MACVSOG members during the Vietnam War. These appear to be theater made and the pins are actually very small nails.

Jacob

post-162535-0-36128700-1546622249.png

Funny! I had basically given up on this thread but it seems to have taken off while I wasn't looking.

Some really stellar wings guys! I love to see them all.

Best wishes

Chirs