camo parachute piece

cattaraugus

Hi, estate sale find today, I think it is a piece of parachute, any ideas as to what era its from, or just some sort of poncho fragment, thanks, Mike

post-4406-1229203919.jpg

General Apathy
Hi, estate sale find today, I think it is a piece of parachute, any ideas as to what era its from, or just some sort of poncho fragment, thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, The wartime and the post war camo chute look very similar in color and pattern of the camo, simplified the wartime chute is a very smooth and even weave, the post war cargo chute has a cellular weave to help prevent ripping, it appears as little ridged squares if that is easy to follow. It's not perfect science but it is the quickest and easiest to differentiate the material. If you can post a very close photograph of the weave then maybe someone can help you.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy
another

Hi Mike, thanks for posting these close ups, unfortunately sometimes when you re-size photographs the digital images becomes a little blurred, i have encounterd that myself when re-sizing.

So initially looking at the first photo it appears like the cellular weave, however looking at the bottom right corner of your second photograph it is possible to see the flat smooth weave of the material.

So going on what I perceive of the photo's I would say that you have a good wartime piece of chute.

Cheers ( Lewis )

I've got a huge piece of this stuff, smooth weave, that I thought was Korean era. I currently use it to cover my motorcycle in the garage.