3 Star General Insignia

cmt04444

Griffin Militaria is a very reputable dealer, you should have mentioned they are marked sterling. They would most likely fall into the time frame then of the 40s.

CNY Militaria

Most GO stars were sterling through the 70s or so. With few exceptions, clutch back stars are post-WWII. Likely 1960s on this set.

Please allow me to address one of the exceptions. I have the military grouping that belonged to Admiral John S. McCain. One of his three star rank is clutch back. He died five days after the signing of the surrender, so certainly not post war! To note, all of his other ranks are pin back. Jack

Please allow me to address one of the exceptions. I have the military grouping that belonged to Admiral John S. McCain. One of his three star rank is clutch back. He died five days after the signing of the surrender, so certainly not post war! To note, all of his other ranks are pin back. Jack

Always the chance one of his son's (John Jr.) 1960's era vice admiral collar pins found its way into the group.

Certainly a chance, but not the situation as these stars are WWII era. The interesting thing about the grandfather and the son is it is the only time in U.S. Navy history that father and son achieved the rank of full admiral. One my wonder why I ended up with all his material. Simply put, Senator McCain didn't want it. I can only assume that he had his father's material. Jack