CBI pilot grouping

SEABEE SON

I recently obtained a very nice grouping from a pilot who served in the China Burma India theater. The fellow I bought it from sourced it directly from his widow a few years ago. His name was Lt. Col. Robert Fillet (1921-2012). He flew with the 10th AF, 7th BG, 492nd BS. He flew about 26 missions over Burma, Thailand and several tough missions over Rangoon out of an airbase in India. He also flew "non-combat" missions over the lower end of the Hump carrying fuel, ammo to China. On 5/27/44 in the morning, at about 5000' over northern Burma he heard a loud spraying sound and smelled fuel. He hit the Chute alarm button, put the B 24 on autopilot and all of the 8 man crew were able to get out. As he was chuting down he saw his B 24 the "Paulette" (christened by namesake Paulette Goddard, the Hollywood star) explode. Only three survived as 5 drown in the swollen tributaries of the Bhramaputra river in northern Burma. He was picked up by Burmese natives in a canoe and it took him 7 days to get back to friendly lines. Each airman carried 100 silver one oz. coins from India sewn into their chute pack. He gave 99 of them to his two guides and kept one for himself which he had it finely carved out and made a necklace.

He gave a one hour inteview at the last meeting of the CBI 7th BG reunion in Salt Lake City in 2004, several years before he passed.

Here is the video, that I have edited to show some of the items in the grouping. The leather A2 jacket with Blood Chit map pocket and American Flag sewn on the back is the highlight of the collection for me.

I will post these here as time allows, as it is quite extensive. He earned a DFC, an Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, a Purple Heart, as well as campaign and Chinese medals. A lot of interesting paperwork, and a few photographs as well, mainly from his time as an air cadet, with a few in-theater pictures.

Excellent pics/ story...sad about the 5 crew members, seems he had good situational awareness and got the crew out ASAP..

Very Nice A-2...love the hide...and patches.....very nice pick up