151st MG Bn Group for $1700!?

ludwigh1980

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDENTIFIED-WWI-42nd-RAINBOW-DIVISION-151st-MG-BATTALION-SOLDIERS-UNIFORM-GROUP/123532305955

I know stuff from the Rainbow Division is sought after especially the 151st MG Bn, however this seems like a crazy price. I notice a lot of groups from this seller (though presented very well) brings nearly double (at least) what other similar groups sell for. I personally would rather buy a group that is fresh to the market, either direct family purchase or estate picker via ebay my self.

Glad to see this success for the seller - he is a wounded combat vet, and an incredibly nice fellow. Exactly the opposite of what my personal experience with eBay is; usually I put the $1700 item up and watch it close at $400.. :( Every once in a while you hit a lick, though, and this would seem to be one of those.

Classic case of what it takes to make an auction a success - two people who were absolutely determined to have the item no matter what, each putting in a 'nuclear' bid in the hope of wiping out all competition. If one person does it: surefire success. Two people doing the same thing: smaller nuke ends up with quite the bar bill, seller is very happy, and the auction posts a anomalous result for the rest of us to ponder. This is the only down side - results like this become the basis for others in doing price comps; which can establish grounds for very unrealistic expectations.

So what drove these two bidders on this one? My guess is the photo of the fellow wearing what appears to be unquestionably this exact same uniform - that's awesome!

Glad to see this success for the seller - he is a wounded combat vet, and an incredibly nice fellow. Exactly the opposite of what my personal experience with eBay is; usually I put the $1700 item up and watch it close at $400.. :( Every once in a while you hit a lick, though, and this would seem to be one of those.

Classic case of what it takes to make an auction a success - two people who were absolutely determined to have the item no matter what, each putting in a 'nuclear' bid in the hope of wiping out all competition. If one person does it: surefire success. Two people doing the same thing: smaller nuke ends up with quite the bar bill, seller is very happy, and the auction posts a anomalous result for the rest of us to ponder. This is the only down side - results like this become the basis for others in doing price comps; which can establish grounds for very unrealistic expectations.

So what drove these two bidders on this one? My guess is the photo of the fellow wearing what appears to be unquestionably this exact same uniform - that's awesome!

You are absolutely correct IMO...the portrait of him wearing the uniform makes this group very desirable.

I'm glad somebody stood up for the seller. He is a really nice guy.I sold this group to him and how do you think this makes me

feel!!!!! It was a very nice 42nd Div group and I had it for a year or so and it was time to let it go. This goes to prove you

just never know what things will bring. Merry Christmas everybody and happy New Year. 30thguy