• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Philip

Philip
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,243
  • 737 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:26 AM

why isn't there a contract no? and manufacturer's name is also missing. is this a new trend?

Posted Image
Posted Image

i have aslo some non-reversible covers:
Posted Image
fabric looks genuine.

and there are signs of a label, but no stamp:
Posted Image

what do you guys think?

#2 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

Civilian knock-off. I'm not a Marine expert, but every other helmet cover I have ever seen, has this information ink stamped on the materail, not a sewn in tag. Your pictures do not show enough of just the covers, but from what I can see, they are for the PASGT helmets and the one attachment strap doesn't look right. Take a picture of the entire cover with all the nylon straps and we can give a better opinion.

#3 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:14 AM

more pics:
the reversible cover on my lwh
Posted Image
fits perfect

just the cover:
Posted Image

with ega's in pattern
Posted Image

mich cover. also with ega's
Posted Image

non reversible covers
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

I've got four USMC MARPAT helmet covers.................

Two have contract information inkstamped on desert side plus a barcoded inventory tag attached. These are legit Marine issue

One has that tan colored label, is made _close_ to the USMC specs, and has embedded ega's but I believe it's a commercial copy

One is single sided desert camo only, has embedded ega's, but deviates quite a bit from the USMC spec.....another commercial copy.

#5 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:14 AM

and are there any official marpat MICH/ACH covers? all i've ever seen came with this tan label.

#6 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:38 AM

and are there any official marpat MICH/ACH covers? all i've ever seen came with this tan label.

I thought those were Army helmets? The Marine Corps replaced the 1980's vintage kevlar with the "lightweight helmet" but it uses the same covers as the earlier kevlar.

#7 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

Yes, the ACH is Army. No one in the military calls them MICH, that is a term civilians have applied, same with Gallet

#8 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

some marine units use the ach
http://de.youtube.co...&...&playnext=1
for example at 2:29

#9 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Always exceptions to every rule.

#10 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:16 AM

Always exceptions to every rule.

Agreed........but I'd be suspicious of a helmet cover made for the ACH helmet using MARPAT material. Officially the Marines found fault with the ACH design so I doubt they'd spend money makings camo covers for it.

Greg

#11 Mk1rceme

Mk1rceme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,940
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

Is this the proper stamp for these covers that is being discussed here? Sorry for it being half blocked...I don't want to untie the para cord that is attached to the helmet band.

CoverStamp_30.JPG

#12 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

yes, this is the real-deal.

#13 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

there is an official reversible marpat ach cover!
check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.de/w.....=tab=Watching

#14 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

there is an official reversible marpat ach cover!
check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.de/w.....=tab=Watching

HOLY CRAP! Wonder what the helmets themselves would bring? LOL

USMC_23_DEC_026.JPG

#15 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

I'm way off on the new USMC helmet covers, but from what I've read before, the EGA's in the digital pattern were the Marine Corps way of copywriting the pattern to differentiate between official issued items verses commercially made items. If the covers that are commerical made copeis have the EGA in the pattern, then that is copywrite infrigment and the company can be sued from what I know. If the material doesn't have the EGA's in the pattern, then it isn't an "official" USMC issued piece.

But I would like to know also, were there issued pieces that were one sided prints or have the covers been reversable since they were put out? Do all the covers fit the PASAGT, lightweight USMC helmets and USMC variants? I've been wanting to add some of the more modern helmets used by the Marines to my collection, but am not sure where to start on this!!

#16 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Ok -- did some digging...I've got two helmets here I photographed, one worn by me in Iraq, the othe worn by a good friend of mine in Afghanistan -- both have a sewn tag on the desert side. So far as I know, the non-reversible ones are aftermarket FAKEs made with marpat material for ... god knows what, collectors, SWAT team, Paintball kids...but not used by USMC troops to my knowledge.

I have one here someplace with the stamp in as well -- that's correct as issued, the stamp and the sewn tag shown here:
OIF_Dan_024.JPG
OIF_Dan_026.JPG

#17 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

some marine units use the ach
http://de.youtube.co...&...&playnext=1
for example at 2:29

No Marine units use the ACH

#18 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image

#19 bravo_2_zero

bravo_2_zero
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,821
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

Ok -- did some digging...I've got two helmets here I photographed, one worn by me in Iraq, the othe worn by a good friend of mine in Afghanistan -- both have a sewn tag on the desert side. So far as I know, the non-reversible ones are aftermarket FAKEs made with marpat material for ... god knows what, collectors, SWAT team, Paintball kids...but not used by USMC troops to my knowledge.

I have one here someplace with the stamp in as well -- that's correct as issued, the stamp and the sewn tag shown here:
OIF_Dan_024.JPG
OIF_Dan_026.JPG

That cover would be Experimental issue, the American Power Source has made 99% of Prototype gear since around 2003. I have a USMC Prototype Lycra Desert Uniform made by APS.

#20 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:33 AM

I have a USMC Prototype Lycra Desert Uniform made by APS.

post some pics please!

#21 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

That cover would be Experimental issue, the American Power Source has made 99% of Prototype gear since around 2003. I have a USMC Prototype Lycra Desert Uniform made by APS.

Can't be experimental, can it? They came from two different units, neither of which were involved in the MARPAT camo trials.

#22 bravo_2_zero

bravo_2_zero
  • Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Can't be experimental, can it? They came from two different units, neither of which were involved in the MARPAT camo trials.

Could be just stock issued on afterward, I've seen Trial bits pop up used in Iraq quiet recently and used in combat quiet recently. APS did a ' Mountain Trial Suit ' which is what i have, for use in the high mountains of Afghanistan. From recollection i don't think APS have mass produced anything for general issue.
It could quiet be i'm wrong or the Qm stores dumped all trial gear into service ?

oh an here is the link to my Lycra suit.

http://www.usmilitar...hl=experimental

#23 Philip

Philip
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

ah, you're talking about this uniform!
i have the same, but i didn't know its name.
http://www.militaryp...;pictureid=5340

#24 bravo_2_zero

bravo_2_zero
  • Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

ah, you're talking about this uniform!
i have the same, but i didn't know its name.
http://www.militaryp...;pictureid=5340

Yeh that's the one, it's a horrid bit of kit. I don't wish it on anyone to wear. It looks nice and is well thought out but the mix of stretchy and non-stretchy in some places really really hurts you.

#25 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:38 AM

there are two patterns of MARPAT covers. The first has the green straps with green velcro squares on the end. The problem was, that there was too little velcro so if some was useless it wouldn't stick, plus the small squares wouldn't cling to the back of the padded inserts properly and fall out, flap around and generally piss you off as it slapped against your ear on patrol (the problem I had). The new one has longer, thicker strips of black velcro on both sides.

BTW, if it doesn't have the EGAs in the pattern, it's one of many knock-offs intended for civilians and contractors. No EGA=not official issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users