15th AAF Merit Award

P-59A

This is a part of a grouping I bought. The paper was too big for my scanner, sorry about that. I have only found two like this on line and they do not say what it is. It states it some kind of Merit award but reads like an Atta boy. Does anyone know for sure what this is all about?

post-169522-0-11765900-1545023076_thumb.jpg

I've seen them for sale here & there on eBay. I know because everytime I come across one I checked to see it it was named to my 15th AAF KIA Group. They do turn up, but not too frequently. I honestly don't know why they were presented, as I don't think they were given to all 15th AAF personnel ? IIRC, I've observed perhaps 7 or so of them, but that's over some 25 years or looking. If I happen to dig up anything on the I will gladly let you & the Forum know. Good Luck,

Best, dpast32

With the note under Special Achievements, I would guess this was presented to a ground crew member who specifically worked with munitions, and being attached to a fighter wing may have been tasked specifically with putting ammo in belts and loading them in planes. Even the ground crew members were credited with the campaigns their units fought in, even though they did not take part in combat. Also, having served in theater from 1942 to 1945 indicates a ground crew member.

Marty

This is the first one I've seen that wasn't for flying missions. I've seen several (both in KIA groups and not) that were awarded for flying missions - similar wording.

This link is for a document like mine , but for another unit. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=35899 Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

This type of certificate is farly scarce. In the ETO during WWII the " Certificate of Merit " was created as a junior " Bronze Star " award . I have some others which I will add to this thread . There is a standard version of this document that was printed centrally and distributed to units in the ETO, but some units also printed their own version ( like this one ) . A medal was never presented with this document.

I have one to a 31st Fighter Group Pilot. Has his 3 aerial Victories and other info listed on it. These are comparable to the Lucky Bastard Certificates that the 8th AAF gave out.

JD

post-2901-0-21255200-1545254551_thumb.jpg

There are 2 different versions. The " Certificate of Merit" and the " Certificate of Valor".

The Merit version was usually awarded to support personnel. The Valor version was for flying missions.

Kurt

There are 2 different versions. The " Certificate of Merit" and the " Certificate of Valor".

The Merit version was usually awarded to support personnel. The Valor version was for flying missions.

Kurt

Kurt, Any idea what would rate a Merit version? If everyone didn't get one why would anyone get one?

I see these like a Commendation award for recognition or achievement.It basically states what it is or awarded for "skilled munitions worker commended for efficiency"

I have a similar document for a Half Track driver from the 113th Cavalry.I have been told it was like getting the Bronze Star for doing an outstanding job.I have not confirmed this.

I see these like a Commendation award for recognition or achievement.It basically states what it is or awarded for "skilled munitions worker commended for efficiency"

I have a similar document for a Half Track driver from the 113th Cavalry.I have been told it was like getting the Bronze Star for doing an outstanding job.I have not confirmed this.

Doyler, The question then becomes that of parameters. If the merit award is for above average or superior performance, but less than the minimum required for a non combat Bronze Star or Commendation medal then this becomes a gray area. Today they have a multitude of ribbon only awards that would have covered this, but during WW2...not so much. So in effect this is an atta boy to address that gray area of awards in WW2. Sound about right?

Kurt, Any idea what would rate a Merit version? If everyone didn't get one why would anyone get one?

My guess is the same as the others. It was meant as a commendation for someone in direct support of combat operations.

Kurt

Doyler, The question then becomes that of parameters. If the merit award is for above average or superior performance, but less than the minimum required for a non combat Bronze Star or Commendation medal then this becomes a gray area. Today they have a multitude of ribbon only awards that would have covered this, but during WW2...not so much. So in effect this is an atta boy to address that gray area of awards in WW2. Sound about right?

Being these are unit-division specific variations will exist in the document.These tend to be printed at unit-division level or local level from the ones I have seen.Not some form generated by the govt or military awards branch.They all folow a format of being for achievement or recognition.With out more info I speculate these type of merit awards were possibly done prior to the institution of the bronze star or corresponding achievement medal.Recognition was warrented but no badge,ribbon or medal existed.

The next question is then why didnt they get a bronze star later?It may be like the CIB conversion of the Bronze Star.Many GIs who were Combat Infantry Badge reciepiants were later entitled to the Bronze Star but many never knew it or recieved it due to the time frame the award was instituted for the conversion process.I recall the date was 1947 for this(?)Also possible the document wasnt convertible to a Bronze Star.I dont think it was a lesser award than the requirement to get the medal I think its more there was no medal at the time to cover the award if that makes sense.

A we see with the later awards of the Bronze star and commendation medals there were specific devices to wear on the medal or ribbon bar to denote or distinquish between Merit and Valor.Would be great if we could find documentation that that would address the "medal replaces the certificate" that was issued etc.

• 1 month later...

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
I asked if the 14th Fighter Group Association of the Army Air Corps Library &Museum what they knew about this Merit Award. This is the reply.

"We have a number of them and they have all the personalized material like this one – the campaigns, etc., ; I’ve seen pilots and crews; don’t recall a ground crew guy. So this is pretty neat but have not run across anything ‘official’ as to the certificate itself."