What would dog tags look like for someone in USCG 1947-68?

stratasfan

My Grampa served in the Coast Guard from 1947 through late Summer 1968. What would his dog tags have looked like? I don't remember seeing Coast Guard dog tags, and am hoping that someone has some pics! I was plowing through the two pinned threads, but didn't run across USCG ones. Thanks for any help!

Elizabeth

Here’s a Korean War one. They would have been oval like this until the early 50’s when they switched to the army type M1940 tags then early 60’s to tags with no notchPosted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, Connor! Thanks for all the answers! So, the USCG had Navy style and then in the 60s switched to Vietnam-style Army tags? Have you ever found someone who can stamp dog tag blanks in the older styles? I have some Vietnam-style Army tag blanks and an m1924 blank. Would be fun to get it stamped with the info I wanted. :)

We have a WWII era (1937) addressograph machine that we can do dog tags with in the Army style font. We have some decent modern un-notched and notched tags.

Do they still issue them to all active/reserve personnel, or only those deployed in combat zones? Might be make or break in my future USN/USCG decision... kidding