• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

I just tapped this little group and see a comparison on the wings that look like an LGB pattern but, has the H&H hallmark.

Attached Images

• s-l1600.jpg

#2 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

back--------------

Attached Images

• s-l1600.jpg

#3 mghcal

mghcal
  • Members
    • Member ID: 25,673
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

A really nice H&H command pilot that went very cheap. If the Caterpillar club pin wasnt broken I would of bid as well. It's definitely worthy of further research especially since he was a Pacific veteran who joined the Caterpillar club. That's rare.

#4 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96,854
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:21 AM

Costa, if you do a search in the Wing Badges thread for H-H and Odence you will see a thread that compared H-H and J Odence wings.  Someone posted they had seen at least four different companies' hallmarks on this pattern of wings.  I also have a Gemsco-hallmarked wing now in this pattern, but it has the long nail-head pins so the die may have been used post-war by/for them.  I also have an Amico wing that is nearly identical, but it lacks the distinctive stippled texture in the recessed vertical stripes.

Do these command pilot wings have a stippled texture in the recessed vertical stripes?

Marty

#5 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

Here is my H&H pilot version of this wing.  I am not sure that some of these wings weren't made by a common manufacturing company for resale by other firms.  It is more than possible (and probably quite likely) that there were wholesale suppliers to various retail companies of wings and insignia.

Attached Images

• pilot_HH.jpg

#6 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Does this wing have the stippling in the recessed vertical stripes, fine vertical lines or a relatively smooth surface in the recesses?  Here are H-H, Amico and LGB wings to illustrate this.

H-H

Attached Images

• H-H.JPG

#7 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:43 AM

Amico

Attached Images

• Amico-2nd.JPG

#8 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:43 AM

LGB

Attached Images

• LGB.JPG

#9 mil.htg.medals

mil.htg.medals
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 211,802
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Here is my H&H pilot version of this wing.  I am not sure that some of these wings weren't made by a common manufacturing company for resale by other firms.  It is more than possible (and probably quite likely) that there were wholesale suppliers to various retail companies of wings and insignia.

This style of wing, with a shield sans stars, is called the 'Adams design' after its designer in 1921; it then became the standard for the USAAF/USAF. The 'pelican beak' style, shown here, was manufactured by Meyer, Vanguard, (LGB) Balfour, H&H, Amico, Gemsco, A.E.Co., Moody Bros.

Edited by mil.htg.medals, 17 January 2019 - 08:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users