Identifying Paris locations in old WWI Doughboy photos

CW4AFB

One of things that that always bothered me when I looked at WWI Doughboy photos was that I usually couldn't tell where the picture was taken---

you know the site had to have some significance because they went to the trouble to pose and have a photo taken there--- but not knowing any Parisian buildings other than the obvious ones, I felt like I was missing something---

Recently I got my hands on a large set of color postcards from 1918 of Paris's landmarks and digitized them --now having these images I started going through my Doughboy photos and sure enough, I was able to pick out the location of the first one at which I looked --

as you can see below, my original photo caption only said "US officer wearing a cape"--now it says US Officer wearing a cape in front of the Trocadero Palace in Paris - a place named for an 1823 French military victory in Spain-- and which is considered to have one of the best views of the Eiffel Tower.

If you have any similar shots you think might be in Paris, send them to me and I will compare them against my files and we may get some hits which will let you expand your captions also---

I would think we could also do this for other French sites like LeMans, Marseilles, and other places the Doughboys worked and visited.

Al

post-2235-0-37060300-1544487217_thumb.jpg

post-2235-0-86358900-1544487389_thumb.jpg