WWII Cooking Manuals & Cap

Red Devil

A fellow teacher found these this summer and was kind to think of me. A nice pair of 1943 cooking manuals and what appears to be a period cook's cap! Cap is marked as shown. If anyone else has cooking-related items, please feel free to share!

post-9214-0-14475400-1544278150_thumb.jpg

post-9214-0-59464500-1544278161_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a story Dad liked to tell about being stationed at Fort McClellan in 1940/41. The bakers were having trouble with bugs getting into the flour supply, resulting in bread with little black things baked in. Since they couldn't keep the bugs out, the solution was throw raisins into the dough.

Mikie

Thanks for the comments! Pretty fun set of items. I'm particularly enjoying the recipes and the copious amounts of lard contained within.

post-9214-0-38735200-1544303330.jpg

post-9214-0-86099900-1544303335_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Try using that much lard in things today, in today's culture I'm sure it wouldn't fly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Fried chicken using lard is hard to beat.

My wife uses lard in home made piece crust, you can't beat it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Is/ used to be an Inn in Burnsville NC that made breads, cakes with lard and fried chicken in it. So good, not bad once or twice a year. Have to look and see if still have WWI cooks manual?

Reminds me of a story Dad liked to tell about being stationed at Fort McClellan in 1940/41. The bakers were having trouble with bugs getting into the flour supply, resulting in bread with little black things baked in. Since they couldn't keep the bugs out, the solution was throw raisins into the dough.

Mikie

Mikie, those cooks were way ahead of their time...... eating bugs is becoming very fashionable these days ;)

Rene

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...