Hornbrook, California knives

robinb

Just a thought...perhaps Gordon Jacobs and Lawrence Breceda, being best friends and avid outdoor sportsmen originally made the knives for hunting purposes (maybe for Grizzly's). It kind of makes sense that the knives were made about the same exact time as they both have the same identical pattern, similar wood handles, and rivets. Then WWII comes about and maybe they decide to give their knives to some hometown soldiers, Curtis Gilley and Clyde McKiddy who are going off to war. It's just my guess but those are probably the only two knives made by Jacobs and Breceda, whether originally intended as knives for their own use or made specifically by them to give to those two soldiers. It would be really interesting if any more knives like this show up somewhere.

Questions for robinb:

What are the width and length of the handles on both knives?

What are the width and length of the blades (from the handle) on both knives?

What are the blade widths at their thickest point on both knives?

Is there any writing or scratching on the one leather sheath on either side that you can tell?

Questions for the knife experts:

When did a metal snap like the one on the leather sheath first come into use?

Is there a particular pattern name or specific use for that kind of knife?

Does the knife look hand-forged?

• 6 months later...

Gordon Jacobs was my great grandfather. Gene Breceda was one of my mother's earliest friends and they remained friends until his passing. Gene was also instrumental in helping get the Living Memorial Sculpture Garden outside Weed, CA off the ground.

I also have his son-in-law's WWI dog tag. Fred Jenni was my mother's father, but he passed away in 1940 in a logging accident. I also have two postcards from his arrival in France. My mother's step father was an army dentist in WWII, but passed away from a brain tumor.

post-239024-0-77620700-1560471730_thumb.jpg