Who Wore This CBI Patch

The Iron Brigade

BILL THE PATCH

I thought i read somewhere that it's a fantasy piece. I could be wrong and thinking of something else.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

I thought i read somewhere that it's a fantasy piece. I could be wrong and thinking of something else. It's a good British printed patch, but anchor stencil was added

Aside from the anchor, I had that exact patch (style, material, construction) and am certain it was original period. Might not be the fantasy suggested. ?

The patch itself is original and very common. The printed anchor is what is in question.

Boy it sure does look convincing however so far no photographs have surfaced with anyone wearing this patch. In addition there have been other folks who have tried to sell different variants of this patch as a possible SACO piece so in my opinion the odds of it being real are slim to none.

post-1389-0-39237700-1543875824.jpg

post-1389-0-99030100-1543875837.jpg

post-1389-0-56997800-1543875854.jpg

post-1389-0-17293200-1543875864.jpg

post-1389-0-45212000-1543875890_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Boy it sure does look convincing however so far no photographs have surfaced with anyone wearing this patch.  In addition there have been other folks who have tried to sell different variants of this patch as a possible SACO piece so in my opinion the odds of it being real are slim to none.

The leather patch looks like the repos that were coming out of one of the southwestern states, maybe even Mexico? I forget exactly wear. Very crude

The leather patch looks like the repos that were coming out of one of the southwestern states, maybe even Mexico? I forget exactly wear. Very crude

Whats odd is the leather patch apears to be a period goat skin and they added an anchor to it made of pigskin to dress it up.The pigskin fakes were coming out of Mexico a few years ago.Always easy to pick out due to the grain of the leather.

BILL THE PATCH

Whats odd is the leather patch apears to be a period goat skin and they added an anchor to it made of pigskin to dress it up.The pigskin fakes were coming out of Mexico a few years ago.Always easy to pick out due to the grain of the leather.

You nailed it Ron, Mexico that's it. Really awful looking patches.

You nailed it Ron, Mexico that's it. Really awful looking patches.

There were a whole series of the red cross CBI as well.Some were even hand painted as I recall.

I would be more impressed to see a reversed version of the CBI with the star on the left side. Have been looking for years and have never seen one here or at any shows. Love to hear from forum on this question and what value maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like I will show what I have but have to acknowledge my friends Steve Johnson and Pondo(Ken) for sending me there examples so I know there are others out there but trust me not many. Here is the reversed CBI next to normal variant.

post-565-0-32476200-1545854618_thumb.jpg

I think the reversed appear in more variations than just the printed CBI patches, pretty sure I've seen both bullion and hand done in years past that I felt were good original to period. You'll also see an occasional one with the star done point down, so many variations of this one to keep you looking for the rest of your collecting life.