Weird jungle medical pouch 1943

kaszanka

Hi guys, I got this one and I am a little puzzled with the lack of the wire hook on it. It looks to be made this way - there is almost no room to fit a hook thru its opening - its pretty tight. Also there is no wear or trace of hook ever being there. is it a production error .. or was there some pouches without hooks ?!

post-111995-0-22957600-1543635528.jpg

post-111995-0-23692100-1543635536.jpg

post-111995-0-44109600-1543635546_thumb.jpg

Looks like a nice pouch.

I cannot answer your question about them ever being manufactured without a grommet hook. The stitching looks correct and authentic.

Perhaps as you suggest a factory error, was it found with the contents or just as an empty pouch?

The belt hook was very popular on other field equipment so I don't see why the original design would not have one.

Justin

It looks ok; the hook was probably removed so the wearer could use the belt loop instead. I used to run across a lot of WWI-WWII gear in various states of condition, all missing the belt hooks. Some were worn enough that you could see it had one at one time, but others looked like this and had evidently had the hook removed before it was used much. There is always a chance it was not completed, but I doubt it if the hook is all that was missing.

I agree this one was removed, most likley by request. So it set up higher on the belt for comfort and not hitting you with every step like a shovel. :)

A lot of gear was field modified, as stated.

Thank you guys for info... for a moment I thought maybe there was some variant I wasnt aware of.... I guess this wire was removed right after the pouch was issued - hence lack of any wear or trace of that hook.... Thank you !