VIETNAM P.O.W. ITEMS (M.I.A.)

LIFER

Anyone else collect or interested in items from this era. If so, what do you have? All I have are some bracelets and some literature. Other things like the clothes and things they used come to mind, but could be pricey. Outside of what is mentioned, I have not found anything else.

uniformcollector

I have one of RADM Jeremiah Denton’s tan shirts and wings as well as some of VADM Stockdale’s insignia, but never was able to come across any of the items actually used while officers were POWs like their pajamas or sandals. That said, given how many POWs made it back, I would not be surprised if one or two sets are in private hands.

There are a few sets of the issue POW return clothes in private collections and I assume there are at least a few more residing with the families. I was the personal aide for a Vietnam POW, but sadly he had disposed of everything over the years, save for the one uniform he planned to be buried in. I think many were like him and simply wanted to leave the past behind when they got home.

I know of two forum members who have "coming home" uniforms to include the grey jacket, white shirt, black pants and at least one of them has the correct black shoes. Both have the "gym bag" that the POWs were issued to carry their personal items.

As I recall, none were allowed to return with their prison pajamas, so that would be a pretty difficult item to find (as if the coming home suit wasn't).

I think finding anything attributed to use in the Hanoi Hilton is going to be pretty difficult for you to ever find.

Allan

vintageproductions

Dave,

That's interesting to know. One might think they would not want those, as with leaving or getting rid of others. With you being a personal aide, that's a rewarding experience.