6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,340 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

This is the VTAS Visual Target Acquisition System configuration for the Navy's APH-6 single visor flight helmet.

I found this in a tech manual for the Navy's F-4B Phantom. It's always nice to see some detailed operational info, as collectable flight helmets seldom come with users guides, 

h0.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

#2 mohawkALSE

mohawkALSE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,373
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

Very interesting piece.  Saw pics of one of these from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museums website.  Interesting how some things seem so old fashioned like the stowing knob, yet the IR sensors and the plug are very similar to what was later used on the AH-64 Apache's IHADSS helmet from the 80s up until recently.  Thanks for sharing!

#3 Blaze1

Blaze1
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 206,878
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:38 AM

This is the VTAS Visual Target Acquisition System configuration for the Navy's APH-6 single visor flight helmet.

I found this in a tech manual for the Navy's F-4B Phantom. It's always nice to see some detailed operational info, as collectable flight helmets seldom come with users guides, 

Nice post Bob.  A couple of weeks ago, I actually saw your listing on eBay for the F-4 Phantom II Supplementary NATOPS Manual & the Tactical Manual, but I was a few hours too late unfortunately, so didn't get the opportunity to purchase it.  Your profile told me about this place however and I immediately signed up. :)

#4 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,340 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:45 AM

Nice post Bob.  A couple of weeks ago, I actually saw your listing on eBay for the F-4 Phantom II Supplementary NATOPS Manual & the Tactical Manual, but I was a few hours too late unfortunately, so didn't get the opportunity to purchase it.  Your profile told me about this place however and I immediately signed up. :)

Sorry you missed that.  Check out this from the same Phantom RIO: http://www.usmilitar...ar-flightsuits/

#5 Blaze1

Blaze1
  • New Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:32 AM

Sorry you missed that.  Check out this from the same Phantom RIO: 

I'm limited in the number of posts I can make per day Bob (3), so I wasn't able to respond sooner, but I can't see a link or any information in your post about the Phantom RIO?

#6 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,340 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

I'm limited in the number of posts I can make per day Bob (3), so I wasn't able to respond sooner, but I can't see a link or any information in your post about the Phantom RIO?

oops

http://www.usmilitar...ar-flightsuits/

#7 Blaze1

Blaze1
  • New Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the link Bob.

I personally don't collect hardware, just technical manuals for military aircraft, having said I must say that you've got a fantastic collection there!  I also really like the Popular Mechanics story.  Seeing the photo and being able to connect it to the flight helmet is pretty special.  Also the fact he flew the F-14.............!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users