New toiletry set, thoughts?

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

I picked this up from Griffith militaria. I wanted to get the communities thoughts. It includes the brush, shave stick, soap dish, deodorant, blade, and mirror.

I know I need a razor and a better set of blades. Is there anything else I should get for "in the field", be it a comb, maybe replace the deodorant with something like insect powder? All and all I'm trying to keep it light, you only really needed the essentials.

I'd also say I've got about $30 more to keep this within my budget so that will limit what I add/detract from the set.

post-13708-0-23415300-1542667471.jpeg

post-13708-0-97090300-1542667610.jpeg

post-13708-0-35479200-1542667650.jpeg

All and all thanks for looking and any comments are appreciated.

Hi,

It looks like a good representative toiletry kit. There can be a lot of variation to toiletry items, and of course not everyone would have chosen the exact same contents (except in cases where a certain item was specified as necessary). When you say deodorant, is it a foot or under arm deodorant? Some of the foot powders of the day were marketed as deodorants too. For many of the items you mention needing, it just depends on what your end goal is. I know that does not seem very helpful to say, but it all comes down to what was issued versus what was available to purchase. A lot of the time personal care items could be purchased through a base PX, or a friend or relative might have sent an off the shelf item as a gift. There are quite a few razors that would be acceptable for the period, and much of the same can be said of the various other items. There are some brands which collectors prefer because of the prevalence of them in period images or advertising, and also some brands which are preferred because they were found in quartermaster contract cartons and packaging.

tdogchristy90

Its a basic body deodorant.

"Prevents odors, chafing, and discomfort.

Dust freely over body and on feet after bathing."

• 3 weeks later...