US Krag Bayonet

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a very nice Krag bayonet at the Leavenworth, Kansas Militaria Show over the weekend that I thought I would show. It is a 1900 dated Krag bayonet that has the proper proud rivets in the unmolested wooden grips and the obverse grip has a stamped rack number on it. The blued steel scabbard has the wire swivel belt attachment that has limited movement from side to side. I am not certain what date these swivels were modified to limit their motion?

The bayonet matches my 1900 dated US Model 1898 Krag rifle that is in similar excellent condition. All in all a very good show for me.

Krag and bayonet.JPG

Krag date mark.JPG

Krag bayonet.JPG

Krag bayonet hilt.JPG

Krag bayonet US.JPG

Krag bayonet date.JPG

Great set! Love the excellent Krag rifle, beautiful condition. Great to have a matching year bayonet. Ialso have a 1900, & a 1902 bayonet to go with my Model 1898 Krag, cartouched 1902. Thanks for showing. SKIP

Many thanks for the kudos guys.

The funny thing about this bayonet is that since I was looking for a 1900 dated Krag bayonet in excellent condition I thought it a fools errand to expect to find one at this show. I figured that it would go onto my list of things to look for and give me something to do for some time to come. I thought I would search SOS in Feburary for one and maybe find my 1900 dated bayonet there.

However, There was exactly one (1) Krag bayonet at this particular show and this was it. It was the correct date. It was in the condition that I needed. It was reasonably priced. I bought it then and there.

So, this seems to be part of my collecting experience of either feast or famine. I either find stuff right away or I can't find diddly when I am looking for something. This time the Gods were on my side.

Sometimes you get really lucky, other times you'll find something, walk away for a couple of minutes, come back and find it was sold, or you don't have enough cash. That's collecting! SKIP

Sometimes you get really lucky, other times you'll find something, walk away for a couple of minutes, come back and find it was sold, or you don't have enough cash. That's collecting! SKIP

Been there... done that. :huh:

I have learned the hard way to never put anything back down on a table until you are through bargaining and are really, and truly, ready to walk away. The guy hovering behind you will snatch it up if you even put it down to reach for your wallet without telling the seller that you will take it. I distinctly remember deciding not to buy a sword, walking away to the end of the isle and going back to buy it. Of course it was gone in two minutes. I did wind up buying the exact same sword from the fellow that bought it after I put it down but it cost me more money. Lesson learned.

I see items at different shows at great prices, but not what I would purchase. They usually end up in another booth shortly after at twice the price.

There is a little humility when the item started in your booth and you missed on pricing...

Been there... done that. :huh:

I have learned the hard way to never put anything back down on a table until you are through bargaining and are really, and truly, ready to walk away. The guy hovering behind you will snatch it up if you even put it down to reach for your wallet without telling the seller that you will take it. I distinctly remember deciding not to buy a sword, walking away to the end of the isle and going back to buy it. Of course it was gone in two minutes. I did wind up buying the exact same sword from the fellow that bought it after I put it down but it cost me more money. Lesson learned.

This is so true. While my best story about this doesn't involve a US bayonet, it certainly proved the point. I went to an estate sale 4 hours into it just to see if the Luger shown on line was still there. Unbelievably it still was, and I picked it up to look it over. The price was 2/3s the going rate for a complete rig, and as I looked at it, I realized some guy was looking over my shoulder. I asked if they could come down a bit (just can't resist dickering) and they said leave your name and number and if it didn't sell that day, they would call me. A little bird said if you put it down, it won't be there 30 seconds later so I went and paid the price asked. Later on, when I looked up the references, I saw the magic word "rare." Turns out it's worth at least four times what I paid for it.

American Pickers always say, the time to buy is when you see it.